View Full Version : having a hard time deciding what GPS software

kaitanium
08-14-2008, 07:20 PM
do you guys have any suggestions as to the best GPS software out there? ive been a pharos customer before so i can get their stuff cheaper but tomtom is looking pretty nice....gahh who knows what else is out tehre.

btw, whats the pocket pc gps site/forum. i know there was one but cant seem to find it anymore.

jadesse
08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
I am in the same boat. I have been using the Dell GPS & navigation software with my Axim x51V for about three years know. I have been unhappy with the software for quite a while. I have norrowed my choice down to either Tomtom or Copilot Live. Not sure which one would be the better choice.

kaitanium
08-14-2008, 11:35 PM
ohhh copilot live is looking nice too. i wonder how much maps cost...im not seeing any pricing for europe maps.

another quirk is that i want it to speak to me in mandarin hahahah.

Cybrid
08-15-2008, 06:27 AM
do you guys have any suggestions as to the best GPS software out there? ive been a pharos customer before so i can get their stuff cheaper but tomtom is looking pretty nice....gahh who knows what else is out tehre.

btw, whats the pocket pc gps site/forum. i know there was one but cant seem to find it anymore.
www.gpspassion.com

kaitanium
08-15-2008, 07:22 PM
bingo!!! that was the site i pictured in my head

Brad Adrian
11-26-2008, 02:04 AM
My biggest desire in GPS software is something that will let me lay out a specific route ahead of time and them follow it turn-by-turn, like Mapopolis did.

Do any of these other new ones allow you to create and/or save a route?

Sven Johannsen
11-26-2008, 04:40 AM
My biggest desire in GPS software is something that will let me lay out a specific route ahead of time and them follow it turn-by-turn, like Mapopolis did.

Not a great fan of it, but DeLorme's mobile app lets you do this. In fact you can create routes and waypoints (pushpins/POIs) on either the PPC or the desktop and transfer to the other. That's right, you can create and save a route on the PPC and then transfer it to the desktop software. Another interesting feature is that you can cut maps from both their Street Atlas (car nav) program, and their TOPOUSA (topographic/offroad) desktop apps for use in the mobile app.

My gripes? Well, it is not as slick looking as the TomToms and OnCourse Navs, and has a weird interface...but then so do their desktop apps.

Oh, yea, it comes with Street Atlas....free, like Pocket Streets used to.

P.S. I love(d) Mapopolis

Fellwalker
05-02-2009, 08:51 AM

www.gpspassion.com

or my favourite http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Fellwalker
05-02-2009, 09:02 AM

Brad
Copilot 6 let you do that so i would expect 7 to do so. From what I recall it was a far better system that TTN6.

I left copilot for TomTOm Navigator 6 becasue its routing kept taking me through cities, and not using by-passes even when real life they were far quicker. Other routing was great. I think it just had the wrong speed defined on some roads. TT's POIs and speedcams were easier to update. I liked everything else about Copilot more than TT. Don't know what 7 is like on that but i will likely move back in due course as TT are not updating the old maps I have got.
Oh, and I got a desktop version as well in the package.

This is what the COpilot 6 manual says
Trip

1. Click the Trip icon.
2. You now have three options for
entering stops on your trip. If you
choose the Cities and Addresses
tab you will need to enter a City,
Country or Postal Code, press
<Enter>, and click the Add Stop
button.

You may enter one or multiple
destinations. Use the buttons to
the right of the Itinerary to zoom
to a stop on the map, change the
order of stops, or delete a stop.

3. If you choose the Points of
Interest tab, enter a City,
Country or a postal code and
click the Find button.
You can specify search
parameters by selecting a POI
Category and/or Type (this
will speed up the search).
3a. Highlight a selection, click
Select, then Add Stop.
When all your stops have
been entered, click Select
Data.
4. By default a 20 mile radius
around all stops and a width of
4 miles along the corridor
which connects them will be
highlighted. Note: CoPilot’s
available memory calculations
subtract 15 MB from the avail-
able memory on your storage
card (If you are using one) to
account for support files.
5. To customize these
distances for any trip, click
Options and type a distance
in the appropriate box.
6. You will return to the Data
Selection menu where you can
select another data area if you
like, using any method. When
you are finished selecting data
areas, click Download. Trip
itineraries that were created
using the Trip download meth-
od will be transferred along
with map data (see p. 12 for
details).

navwphone
06-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Check out Urban Horizon at http://novlummobile.com (http://novlummobile.com/). It offers all the regular navigation features and shows 3D buildings and terrain on your phone.

GW

Richard76
04-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I have a fairly long history of using GPS software. Starting with running MS Streets & Trips on a laptop connected to a Garmin handheld GPS. In subsequent setups I have tried Routis and iGuidance (PDA), Garmin, Mio and Sony (PND) and finally Garmin Mobile XT (Windows Mobile) and G-Maps and CoPilot Live (iPhone).

I have to say that I was quite happy with Garmin Mobile XT on my HTC Tilt, HTC Advantage and my HTC Fuze. However, since getting CoPilot Live V8 on my iPhone, I am seriously considering buying it for my Fuze as well. At $29 US for North American maps and free updates, not only is it a great and very customizable program but it has great value.

Sven Johannsen
05-01-2010, 12:05 AM
However, since getting CoPilot Live V8 on my iPhone, I am seriously considering buying it for my Fuze as well. At $29 US for North American maps and free updates, not only is it a great and very customizable program but it has great value.I would strongly suggest getting a trial if possible. As an iPhone and WinMo user, it is not always the case that a particular piece of software is equivalent on both platforms.

Richard76
05-01-2010, 01:04 AM
I agree. Interestingly, the downloadable PDF manual for the iPhone version that I have also spells out which options/functions work differently or don't work at all with both the iPhone and WinMo versions.