View Full Version : So I am trying an iPhone 3G out

murchman
07-17-2008, 07:28 PM
So after using windows mobile devices and phones all the way back to version 2.0 and being able to get just about every phone release for AT&T through the years for work I thought I would try this set the world on first iPhone my first ever apple product hoping they could make a great phone like everyone says. I have had it for 2 days now so here are my first thoughts (been using a Blackjack II for several months now). **Running on Exchange 2007***

Love the screen size, reading email is so nice and easy on it. Bluetooth with my jawbone is perfect and no delay from when I hit the answer button to when people can hear me. I like the weight of the phone as it makes it feel sturdy even though it's a bit heavy. Does almost everything you would expect from a smartphone on a basic level. The browser is good and makes reading any website pretty easy.

Now for my dislikes

1. I can't flag emails so now I am back to reading them and setting it as on read so when I go to my computer I can address the non-critical emails later and not forget about them

2. I can't search my email, this is a huge thing to me as being in IT I get a ton of email each day and need to be able to quickly look up email not only from today but from anything in my mailbox.

3. I can't change the date and or time of meetings in my calendar, sure I can create new ones and decline or accept but I setup meetings all day and need to move them around. So i have to go to my computer to do those

4. When in a meeting on my schedule it doesn't go into meeting/vibrate mode I have to flip a switch on it. Not good if you don't remember and your phone rings or an email comes in.

5. Can't set different sounds for events such as new mail, SMS, etc

6. Can't snooze meeting reminders can only dismiss it or open it

7. Apps for the app store crash routinely to the point they are useless

8. Can't switch between different email accounts without push a soft button 3 or more times to get to it

9. No way to tell what account the new email came in on so you get to push a soft button a few different time to figure it out.

10. No cut and paste

11. No hot keys so turning bluetooth on or off makes you click a soft button 3 times with the delay of the screen to pull up settings

12. No voice dialing

13. Sluggish going into setting or apps

14. Battery life, can't go a full day on one charge where as my Blackjack II go almost last 2 full days doing the same things.

15. Soft keyboard is very hard to use and i miss type everything so it takes forever to get an email out so far. That should get better with use but so far I want a real keyboard.

Well that it's so far and unless something big happens to fix the issues above it's going back to AT&T with a big nice try but let me know when this thing is a real computer replacement like my smartphones are.

It's a good phone if you don't relay on it to replace you laptop to get work done. Thanks to my Blackjack II I have come to expect my phone to do pretty much anything I can do in Outlook on my phone.

onlydarksets
07-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the review! I still want to want one, but with the delays and the limitations, I'm constantly doubting myself.

murchman
07-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Update

So now I have it setup to check 3 email accounts

1. Exchange with push
2. Gmail fetches once an hour
3. Personal IMAP fetches once an hour

Talk about frustrating trying to figure out where the new mail is coming in on. The phone gives a beep and a vibrate to let you know you have mail. I have to do so many clicks to get to the box that has new mail that it's getting frustrating to no end. Also turning on and off Bluetooth to save the battery is another click fest that is a pain.

The browser is incredible and I love it the more I use it, this is how all mobile browsers should be.

This phone reminds me a lot of an old girl friend I had, great to look at, mess around with, everyone ogles, but can't do anything useful when it comes to real life.

onlydarksets
07-18-2008, 04:49 PM
This phone reminds me a lot of an old girl friend I had, great to look at, mess around with, everyone ogles, but can't do anything useful when it comes to real life.

Best. Quote. Ever.

Rocco Augusto
07-20-2008, 07:28 AM

you should take her back to at&t as well ;)

murchman
07-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Add another I can't understand how they over looked this. You can't sort email at all your choice is newest at top and that is it. I get around 200 or so emails a day for work and I have to scroll through the whole list and try and find an email from someone who might have emailed me 5 or 6 times throughout that day. Forgot about it on this POS wanna be smart phone.

murchman
07-22-2008, 05:54 PM
So I called up the premier order support line to return the phone and started talking with the rep and told him I am probably the only person returning the phone and he laughed and told me yeah you and the other 40 or so people he has helped today to return the iPhone. He said everyone loved the look of it but the phone was just not a phone they could get work done on.