View Full Version : Windows Mobile does not want my money!

Rocky Sullivan
07-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I have been waiting to upgrade my HTC Artemis since before Christmas, I have the money in my pocket for a high end device but have been unimpressed with the WM phones released this year.

The HTC Diamond has no expandable memory and 4GB is not enough for me. It also has no flash for the camera - again no good for me. The battery life is said to be mediocre so I have ruled this one out.

The Samsung omnia caught my eye but the relatively poor screen resolution on a larger display has put me off - the limited buttons is another concern for me as i play the odd game, and the fact that there is no stylus or stylus holder doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

That leaves the HTC Diamond Pro or the Xperia X1.

The Diamond pro has the expandable memory, better battery and flash but a slide out keyboard is not essential for me and it looks like a brick.

The Xperia X1 looks like it may take my money - expandable memory, reasonable camera with a flash. But while the screen resolution appeals to me i am not sure how this will effect my extensive WM software collection (will it run QVGA software ? How will this look ?). I am also not keen on the bezeled(?) screen - why couldnt it be flat like the HTC devices and when will it be available - how much longer do i wait.

Maybe its me - I used to change my device every 3 to 4 months - but I am just not that excited about the new WM Phones. Perhaps I am just getting fussy in my old age.

Are there any other high end alternatives I have missed ? I was tempted by the iphone 3g but i think i was just being drawn to the hype.

Reid Kistler
07-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Keep looking at the "smart phones," but thus far have not found anything that shouts "BUY ME!" Nothing yet that seems as functional as my Cell Phone + Axim.

All-in-one devices still seem too Compromised: either they are mediocre phones, or they are terrible PDAs - or both.

Yes, it is sometimes a pain to have to carry 2 devices around, but at least each works as it should.

Though Bluetooth would help - no need to hold bulky Smart Phone up to ear all of the time - and the AT&T Tilt IS interesting.

But would really like a LARGER screen, not a smaller one - and that is incompatible with the small footprint you would like in a phone!

Good luck with your decision....

ebin
08-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm somewhat in the same bought. I'm a current blackberry user, possibly thinking of converting, but nothing seems overly temping...