View Full Version : D-SLR for the uninitiated

onlydarksets
07-08-2008, 03:40 AM
My neighbor took some pix of the kids playing together using his D70, and now my wife realizes how crappy our consumer-grade camera is (Panny TZ3). So, I'm in the strange position of having the green-light to buy a new gadget, but not knowing anything about it!

I'm pretty set on a Nikon (http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Digital-SLR/index.page), especially after reading articles like this:
http://duncandavidson.com/2008/07/armchair-quarterbacking-the-d7.html

I need to keep it under $1000, so that rules out the D3, D700, D300, and D200. The D80 looks like an upgrade to the D70, but it's pushing the price limit. The D60/D40x is a little better, but I'm worried about not being able to do AF unless the lens has a motor.

So, hopefully someone can help with a few questions:

Can I get a D80 with a lens for general use (3-5x zoom) for under $1000?
What is a good lens for this purpose?
Does it really make a difference if the camera can't do AF (i.e., are the motorized lenses comparable to the non-motorized lenses)?
Should I be looking at Canon? Anything else?

Thanks!

Outlaw94
07-08-2008, 03:07 PM
I have been researching the purchase of a new DSLR for the past couple weeks. I differ from you in one regard, I am looking to upgrade my current DSLR. I purchased a Canon Digital Rebel XT about 3.5 to 4 years ago. I couldn't be happier with it but there has been a great deal of advancement and I think it may be time to upgrade.

I have been looking at two options, the Canon XSI, upgrade to the XT and the Canon 40d, the next class of DSLRs. I have read just about every review on just about every DSLR from Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.

In your price range I would consider two camera, the Nikon D60 and the Canon Rebel XSI. Both are really nice cameras. All the reviews I read tell me that the Canon takes the best overall photos. I have seen the Canon sell online for around $829 and the Nikon is cheaper around $629. Prices are from BHphoto.com. The price on the canon is a bit more but given the reviews have all been outstanding I would personally buy that one.

Now depending on what you are shooting the kit lens is a good start but if you want to take pictures of your kids at their softball/baseball, soccer games you will need a longer telephot lens. I use a Canon 70-300mm lense to photograph auto races, from nascar to motorcycles to get in real close to the animals at the zoo. I bought the lense for around $200. If you go with the Canon I would suggest the 70-250mm Image Stabilizing lense which retails for aroun $280.

With the high resolution of these cameras, the picture size is fairly large. I would suggest a large memory card. I have orderd memory cards from Meritline.com and I have never been disappointed. I paid around $55-$60 for a 16GB SD card a month or two ago. THis card would hold a lot of pictures.

A good place to read a lot of review is digitalcamerareview.com. If you decide to stay with the Nikon D60, you can get a really good deal for the kit and a longer lense, but stick with the VR lenses, these help with any camera shake that may occur.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to try and help. If you would like I can also email you my snapfish link of some the race photos I have taken over the years with the 300mm lense.

Be sure to let us know what you decide and how you like it.

onlydarksets
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks! I'd love to check out the pix - PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

What about the lack of AF? Is that a big deal, or would you just get a motorized lens? Is there a downside to motorized lenses?

onlydarksets
07-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I was finally able to login last night to checkout the pix - they look great! I have a feeling I can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. I'll probably base my decision on which one seems easiest for me to use.

I'm still a little confused on the autofocus. It really doesn't matter if it's on the camera or the lens? I'm not going to buy a lot of lenses for it, so it really opens doors if I can get the same quality and features at a lower price point by moving the motor to the lens.

Thanks!

Outlaw94
07-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I can't think of any reason why the auto focus would be better either way.

I would make sure that when you buy any additional lenses, that you make sure that they have the auto focus feature compatable with the Nikon.

yslee
07-14-2008, 09:09 AM
At this casual level, no, it's not going to really matter. The cheap Nikon zooms that are sold to casual shooters all have the piezoelectric motor (trademarked as Silent Wave Motor by Nikon and sold as AF-S lenses, as well as Ultrasonic Motor by Canon) in the lens. Sigma also has a range of such lenses (but I cannot in good faith recommend Sigma lenses), and Tamron also is starting to update its lens lines to have standard motors in their lenses.

The main difference is that the piezoelectric motors are quiet and fairly fast. You can also manually focus them without flipping a switch on the camera body. Again, rather moot for casual shooters.

Since you sound unsure, my suggestion is to get a Nikon D40 dual lens kit. B&H is selling the kit for $650, and if you want to upgrade it's a cheap enough body to use as a backup or to sell at minimal loss. It's "only" 6 megapixels, but it's plenty enough. I'd say given the advances since the D70 it's slightly better than the D70 from a pure image quality point-of-view.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/500315-REG/Nikon_9420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

onlydarksets
07-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks, that's what I was looking for! However, I'm discouraged by the low pixel count of the D40. I'd like to be able to blow these up to large size prints if I get a good shot (up to 16x20, but more often 11x14). 6MP seems to be the minimum for that (http://www.digicamhelp.com/processing-photos/printing/print-size.php).

The D60 is appreciably more expensive ($630) than the D40 ($470), but I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I'm just buying features I don't need. Really, it's the megapixel that I'm concerned about. I'll never hear the end of it if I spend $500 on a camera and we can't get a big framed picture out of it.

Thanks, again!

Jason Dunn
07-22-2008, 05:53 PM
The D60/D40x is a little better, but I'm worried about not being able to do AF unless the lens has a motor.

Unless you're planning on buying some very old lenses, this is absolutely a non-issue.

Jason Dunn
07-22-2008, 05:58 PM
The D60 is appreciably more expensive ($630) than the D40 ($470), but I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I'm just buying features I don't need. Really, it's the megapixel that I'm concerned about. I'll never hear the end of it if I spend $500 on a camera and we can't get a big framed picture out of it.

Get the D60. I have one here, and it's a great camera - although I'd say to get your hands on one first. It's quite a small DSLR, and depending on your height/hand size, it might actually be a smidge TOO small...but it's purely a matter of personal preference. The D60 is newer and better than the D40 in every way - the sensor is upgraded, the camera has a lot of little refinements...it just makes no sense to buy the D40 unless your budget absolutely prevents you from getting the D60. Amazon.com has a nice D60 bundle how that has the D60, an 18-55 lens, and a 55-200 lens, all for about $835 USD. Both lenses have vibration reduction, and I can virtually guarantee that if you only get the 18-55 lens you'll want something with more zoom within a week. :)

onlydarksets
07-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Unless you're planning on buying some very old lenses, this is absolutely a non-issue.
Thanks! I wasn't sure if the lens motors were slower or if it somehow resulted in a lower quality lens. Sounds like a big "no" there!

Amazon.com has a nice D60 bundle how that has the D60, an 18-55 lens, and a 55-200 lens, all for about $835 USD.
It's bothering me not to get the D60 over the D40, because the D40 is pretty old technology (albeit, good technology). The price is a little off-putting for my entry into D-SLR land, though. I need to get over to a Ritz to check them both out, along with the lenses.

Jason Dunn
07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
It's bothering me not to get the D60 over the D40, because the D40 is pretty old technology (albeit, good technology). The price is a little off-putting for my entry into D-SLR land, though. I need to get over to a Ritz to check them both out, along with the lenses.

I hear you - but keep in mind this isn't like choosing between an Intel processor running at 2.2 Ghz and one running at 2.6 Ghz, with a $300 price spread between the two. The differences between the D40 and the D60 are significant, and I think you'll find it money well-spent. Regardless, both cameras are good, so it's not like you'll be unhappy with the D40 - yet I suspect you might be thinking "Darn, if only I had spent that extra money..." the first time you find something that the D40 doesn't do/have that the D60 does do/have.

onlydarksets
07-22-2008, 07:21 PM
That's the problem, though, is that it doesn't seem like the differences would be very important to me (other than resolution), and the reviews I have read haven't said they are that compelling.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

http://www.flickr.com/groups/d40slr/discuss/72157603920243415/#comment72157603916939378
The Nikon D60 shares a lot of features with the older D40/x:
- same body design (same ergonomic shape)
- same viewfinder
- same ISO range (100-3200i) as the D40x
- same graphics display and menu system
and so on, basically every D40x review you've read is the same as the D60...

New features on the D60 include:
- Dust reduction; handy for keeping your shots cleaner for longer (probably not 100% foolproof though) - but seemingly very effective
- Infra-Red Sensor on the eye-piece that detects your face and turns off the LCD - handy for removing the distracting glow of the LCD when shooting at night
- tilting of the LCD display when shooting in Portrait orientation
- In-camer dynamic lighting - this is supposed to help cox more detail out of shadows in pictures, thus helping with some common exposure problems

I'd say that the D60 is a worthy camera if you're looking to get your first DSLR and you have a wider budget than what the D40 goes for. If you can stand to live without the newer features like dust-cleaning, IR sensor and in-camera photoediting, then your money may be more well spent by investing in good glass (eg. getting a D40 and the 18-55 & 55-300mm (VR) lenses) and accessories like a bag, speedlite, memory and tripod.

Jason Dunn
07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
That's the problem, though, is that it doesn't seem like the differences would be very important to me (other than resolution)...

Ok, get the D40 then. :)

[Remember though that Ken Rockwell is the guy who says the camera doesn't matter (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm), so according to his theory, getting a DSLR instead of using your P&S means you're just not trying hard enough.]

Or perhaps look at picking up a used D70 or D80?

onlydarksets
07-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Ok, get the D40 then. :)

[Remember though that Ken Rockwell is the guy who says the camera doesn't matter (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm), so according to his theory, getting a DSLR instead of using your P&S means you're just not trying hard enough.]

Or perhaps look at picking up a used D70 or D80?
Fine, then - I will be that way! ;)

Great article, though. For the record, I am extremely lazy, so I probably need the D300.

I think my next step is to check the cameras and lenses out in person. Thanks for all of the info, Jason - much appreciated!

yslee
07-23-2008, 09:35 AM
If you're extremely lazy, the D300 will be too heavy. :P

One thing the D60 dual lens kit has is the VR version of the 55-200, which I think has slightly better optics.

onlydarksets
11-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I (finally) pulled the trigger on a Canon XS with EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens. It compared favorably with the XSi, and at a total cost of $452 from Abe's of Maine (http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=CNEOSRDXS1855K) ($473.95 - $10 coupon - 2.5% from MS Live Search cashback (http://evreward.com/coupon/show/92290?storeid=6113&progid=50)), it's in my comfort zone for a technology I'm not really geeked out about (yet...).

Thanks for all of the input, and wish me luck!

Jason Dunn
11-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I (finally) pulled the trigger on a Canon XS with EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens.

Congrats! Enjoy the new camera! :)