View Full Version : AS sync folder name?

terrypin
07-07-2008, 07:59 AM
This probably stems from a full restore of WM on my iPAQ 2210 plus reinstallation of AS some months ago, but I've only just noticed it. My PPC is
named 'Pocket_PC', the name it's always had since I bought it years ago, as you see here:
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1218/ppc2iw0.jpg

However, the files that are getting synchronised are in 'WM_Terry My Documents'. That's what I see if I go to Tools > Options and look under Files > Settings:
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9895/ppc1ot7.jpg

Why are these names different? How can I change one or the other please? Ideally I'd like to call the AS sync folder 'Pocket_PC My Documents' again.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Don't Panic!
07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Try tapping on Start > Settings > System > About then the Device ID tab and make sure your device is named Pocket_PC . Now on your PC rename the WM_Terry My Documents folder to some thing else. Then while not synced open Activesync and delete any mobile device called WM_Terry. Now dock your device and in the options dialog be sure to select files as an option. Your Pocket_PC My Documents folder should now be created.

terrypin
07-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Try tapping on Start > Settings > System > About then the Device ID tab and make sure your device is named Pocket_PC . Now on your PC rename the WM_Terry My Documents folder to some thing else. Then while not synced open Activesync and delete any mobile device called WM_Terry. Now dock your device and in the options dialog be sure to select files as an option. Your Pocket_PC My Documents folder should now be created.

Thanks. But not sure how to accomplish that. By 'not synced' do you mean remove the PPC from its cradle so that AS shows Not Connected? And under File > Mobile Device I just have one entry, 'Pocket_PC'. And there is also a menu item File > Delete Partnership.

I was hoping that in Add/Remove Programs > AS > Repair there would be some reconfigure options, including changing the name of the Sync folder, but it says only:
"Repair installation errors in the program.
This option fixes missing or corrupt files, shortcuts, and registry entries."

Guess I'll just live with the inconsistency.

--

Don't Panic!
07-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Before you try this be sure your using the latest Activesync version which is 4.5. If you're not using 4.5 then updating to 4.5 may solve your problem without doing the steps outlined below.

Okay I'll keep it simple. While your device is in the cradle and a sync has been made your PC's Activesync click on Tools > Options and uncheck file sync . Then sync again. Now remove your device from the cradle and rename the WM_Terry folder on your desktop to something else. Put your device back in the cradle and sync. Now in the Activesync program on your PC click on Tools > Options and check file sync. This should create a new folder on your desktop using your devices name.

terrypin
07-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the follow-up. Yes, I have AS 4.5. But that procedure failed because Win XP refused to let me change the name WM_2003 My Documents. Even with the extra step of disabling AS before that renaming step, and attempting to remove the Read Only attribute from the folder/subfolders, it still wouldn't accept the name change.

--

comtrjl
07-11-2008, 06:29 PM
This is what I did under similar circumstances (WM6):

disconnect from AS i.e. unplug usb
delete the connection under the File menu of AS
delete or rename unwanted profiles from c:\docs and settings\<login name>\application data\microsoft\active sync\profiles
on pda, run Settings -> System -> About -> Device ID and enter preferred name
restart pc and after login reconnect ipaq to usb and it should prompt to create a new connection using your chosen device name

bob

terrypin
07-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks Bob. May give that a try, or may just live with it the way it is and avoid what sounds a slightly risky procedure - in my hands and with my luck anyway!

--