View Full Version : Windows Movie Maker broke!

Joel Crane
07-05-2008, 04:56 AM
So the other day I grabbed a bunch of AVI videos and dropped them into Windows Movie Maker on Windows XP Professional to put together some videos. Strangely, the videos play from collections, but as soon as i drop them into the timeline they are just black and empty.

But wait! There's more!

I played with that for a few minutes and got a blue screen of death. It said nothing on it except disable shadowing blah blah blah and a hex code? of some kind. I wrote it down and typed it in on Google, its supposed to indicate a problem with Ram, so i ran memtest, and it came up with a gazillion errors. Then, I swapped the cards around and reset the bios and let memtest run for hours on end, and everything looked green.

I fired up Windows Movie Maker and another bsod. Over and over and over. I copied Windows Mobie Maker over from another computer and pasted them in, and it fixed it for about 15 minutes and bang, another bsod. I've searched Google endlessly, and I need to put a presentation together for TOMORROW NIGHT.

Also, my laptop is a 900mhz PIII, video editing on it simply isn't possible.

Joel Crane
07-05-2008, 04:58 AM
I should also add that I've used AVI's with WMM from that exact same digital camera several times now. It always worked flawlessly before.

Jason Dunn
07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Uh...wow. Lots of stuff here. :D

The bad RAM sounds like it's the root of the problem. Unfortunately shuffling them around to different slots probably won't solve the problem. What you need to do is find the flawed stick of RAM - so pull all the RAM except one stick, and run Memtest. If that stick passes, pull it out and put in the next one - repeat until all sticks are tested. If all pass, it might be a bad RAM slot on your motherboard - so test one stick in each of the slots. Painful and long? Yeah, you bet.

Since you're having so much trouble with Movie Maker, give this program a try:

http://www.videospin.com/

...but I think the root of your problem is bad RAM.

Joel Crane
07-14-2008, 06:38 AM
I was having issues getting Sp3 installed, and my hard drive stopped showing up reliably. I replaced an IDE cable and reinstalled Windows. Ran Sp2 and then Sp3 immediately and installed all my programs. Everything is working fine now...

Jason Dunn
07-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Cool, glad to hear you got it working!