View Full Version : Where can i get a Windows 2000 CD or Image? Also, XP Pro upgrade?

Joel Crane
07-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I was given three computers recently with Windows 2000 Professional COA stickers on the sides. The licenses are no longer in use, so they are mine. Where could I get a Windows 2000 Professional installation CD to take advantage of these licenses? As far as i know, copying the CD itself is perfectly legal as long as you don't use the license on more than one computer.

Also, I was wondering about upgrading the licenses to Windows XP Professional. If I bought XP Pro Upgrade, could do a clean install somehow or do I have to install 2000 first and then upgrade? Upgrades are messy, it would be nice to skip installing 2000.

Jason Dunn
07-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I doubt you'll find anyone selling a Windows 2000 CD without also selling the license...in fact, I doubt it's even legal to sell them apart.

Regarding upgrades, you can upgrade Windows XP without needing an OS installed first, but you need a CD from a previous version of Windows...which I guess you don't have. Although how did you get XP Pro Upgrade installed in the first place? If memory serves you can use a Windows 98 CD.

What are you going to do with computers that old anyway? :)

Joel Crane
07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I doubt you'll find anyone selling a Windows 2000 CD without also selling the license...in fact, I doubt it's even legal to sell them apart.

Regarding upgrades, you can upgrade Windows XP without needing an OS installed first, but you need a CD from a previous version of Windows...which I guess you don't have. Although how did you get XP Pro Upgrade installed in the first place? If memory serves you can use a Windows 98 CD.

What are you going to do with computers that old anyway? :)

I might have to *gasp* buy another copy of 2000! And I haven't installed XP Pro upgrade, I don't have a copy yet.

And what am I going to use with computers that old?! Use 'em!

My fastest computer is a 1.5ghz Athlon XP, and honestly it does what it does well. My only beef with it is that Windows Movie Maker gives me a BSOD, and that is the only computer i own that is fast enough to run it.

My laptop is a 900mhz PIII with 512mb of RAM. Sometimes things can get a little clunky, but once again, it perfectly usable.

The rest of my machines are 600mhz celerons. I use them for messing with, storing files, streaming music, sharing internet, and sometimes checking emails. If it is faster than 400mhz and has more than 256mb of Ram, Windows XP does ok.

Well it sounds like upgrades are the way to roll. Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.