View Full Version : I want it all! - Reprise

stlbud
06-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Sorry this is so long. Please bear with me read through to the end.

Some time ago I started a thread with a similar title and ranted about the capabilities of the Pocket PC. It resulted in some interesting discussion but no real solution was found. Now I'm at the point of replacing my fourth Pocket PC. They have all served me well, keeping me in touch and on time, providing entertainment and news. All of it in a reliable compact package.

With my first Cassiopeia the choice was pretty easy. I wanted color and audio. Palm didn't know anything about color or sound so I was on my way. Later an iPaq, then another and another until now I have a iPaq RX3715 that has probably been the most fun with WiFi, Bluetooth, and home theatre remote control on top of all the other things that I have relied on.

Now my poor RX3715 has served well, suffered a hard life and needs to be put to rest. But what should I get in replacement? I have nearly everything I want in this convenient solid little package. Listed by importance I have -
Calendar
Contacts
Daily news (AvantGo)
Word Documents
Excel Documents
A safe place for my passwords and personal information (Flex Wallet)
Read Books
Audio
Video
Web Browsing

I never did get the file capacity I always wanted. With 10G of audio files and another couple of G of video there just was never enough space to hold them in one place forcing me to carry a media player as well as my Pocket PC.

Web browsing was possible but not practical in most cases. No matter how many asked for PDA friendly pages, very few ever seemed to want to provide them. I'm sure iPhone users are finding the same problems but just don't know any better 8-P

Another issue, many pocket PC manufacturers seem to find it necessary to integrate a phone into the device. I never found much use for a phone and realize I'm an oddball in that regard. Anyway, I'm not sure I want my PDA and phone to be the same piece. Finding unlocked PDA/Phones is difficult. Many dealers seem to be part of the black market or at least are a little gray around the edges. Then is the issue of cost. I've paid as much as $400 for each of my Pocket PCs but I cannot justify $600 - $700 or more for an unlocked phone that covers my needs for a PDA and phone. My phone company doesn't offer anything compelling either.

So, I'm at the point of trying to find a new solution. I'm leaning towards a Origami UMPC type of computer. It has the storage capacity and capability I want. It is a larger package and won't be as portable. It also doesn't have the GREAT battery life I've grown accustomed to in my iPaqs. It seems to satisfy all the shortcomings of my PDA but still?

So, what would you choose? I really don't need to hear that you've been happy with a particular PDA. I really want to know why you chose the one you use. What do you like about it? How does it make you happy? What do you wish it would do better?

-----

One last thing. In looking for discussion groups that are concerned with UMPC, I have not found any group as large, open or helpful as the people I've found here. The "Thoughts" groups seem to be a cohesive group that is truly excited about the tools/toys they use every day. They are willing to share their experiences and offer really helpful advice to others who are looking for a solution. Thank you to everyone who has helped in the past. Your discussions have kept me interested in my Pocket PCs and made the experience better in more ways than I can say.

Thank you,

Don't Panic!
06-28-2008, 02:39 AM
SDHC support in WM6 and WM6.1 makes space concerns in upgradeable dual slot Pocket PCs a thing of the past. An Axim X51v upgraded to WM6.1 is capable of holding 48GBs at this point in time. The only difficulty in this is you really can't keep a bootlegged ROM on your device for any long period of time. It's one of those ethical conundrums we all face.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if/when we get one more round of PDA only Windows Mobile devices from a manufacturer or one of them offers a WM6.1 upgrade to their current dual slot device your problem would be solved with no strings attached.

stlbud
06-28-2008, 01:17 PM
That may be true but I'm somewhat pressed for time. My RX3715 is falling apart. The touch screen has a bad spot and the LCD is starting to do this color shift thing. I'm sure I only have a few weeks left, at most.

Don't Panic!
06-28-2008, 04:42 PM
You can get a refurbished X51v from Etronics (http://www.nextag.com/Dell-Axim-X51v-PDA-523951539/prices-html) for 239.64 with free shipping. I got mine for less at Geeks.com but they don't have any in stock right now.