View Full Version : Please advise good screen protector

KuroNeko
06-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Which screen protectors give good scratch resistance but don't reduce brightness, contrast and colors?

I use my Ipaq 214 a lot for watching movies and I'd like the experience not to be reduced by a matte screen protector.

Are the ones from PDair any good? Or the Brando screen protectors?

Thanks!

Neko

schmenge
06-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Which screen protectors give good scratch resistance but don't reduce brightness, contrast and colors?

I use my Ipaq 214 a lot for watching movies and I'd like the experience not to be reduced by a matte screen protector.

Are the ones from PDair any good? Or the Brando screen protectors?

Thanks!

Neko

I've not used PDair, but do use Brando and give them a thumbs up.

KuroNeko
06-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks, I'm glad someone's replying. It's very quiet here. I haven't been here in quite a while and when I came back the various brand forums were gone for this new forum. And it seems awfully quiet...

Is PPCT dying?

Neko

schmenge
06-27-2008, 02:33 AM
It does seem to be a little more quiet than the "old" site, but the same (at least to me) as when the new site launched, so I don't think dying, but it does seem more quiet. Might be perception.

Reid Kistler
06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Have had good luck with the BoxWave covers - both the regular "ClearTouch" (Anti-Glare) as well as the "ClearTouch Crystal."

Found the Crystal to be more 'fussy' in installation - it will show Every Bit of "dust" beneath it, whereas the Anti-Glare version hides better. But that seems to be the penalty for "99% Transparency."

The Crystal also seemed to be "stiffer" than the Anti-Glare version, making it harder to re-do a botched installation - actually managed to 'crinkle' a corner of the first Crystal unit, which got caught under the screen 'frame' of the Axim. :mad:(That cover did not go to waste: with some careful cutting it became Screen Protectors for a Pentax K10D, as well as a Canon S3, and the high transparency is appreciated on both cameras!)

Greater Caution resulted in a successful install of the 2nd unit - but their standard (Anti-Glare) covers appear to be more forgiving of being bent.

The Anti-Glare is also more immune to FINGERPRINTS - apparently I manage to hit the Upper Left Corner of my screen on a frequent basis, which shows on the Crystal (although normally only when viewing the screen at an angle).

Averaged just over 1.5 years usage out of each Anti-Glare cover.
The first Crystal went on my Axim last October and is still in its original orientation. (Use Fitaly - and take extensive notes using the Axim on a regular basis - and eventually get wear marks where the stylus sets down; flipping the cover top for bottom evens out the wear. Note: on the Crystal, have had luck "polishing" out the stylus marks using a microcloth & a bit of "safe for coated lenses" glass cleaning fluid - specifically Kirkland brand, from Costco....)

Oh: although it DOES show "flaws" (dust, fingerprints, air bubbles...) more readily than the Anti-Glare version, the Crystal SHARES the virtue of making these Largely Disappear when viewed straight on with the screen lit. (For Example: with the Axim OFF, can currently JUST make out the Fitaly pattern on the installed Crystal - when viewing the screen at a sharp angle - but cannot see that at all when the screen is lit.)

Ok: getting well past TMI (!).
Hope you have good luck with your choice!

RK / SE MI

Darius Wey
06-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks, I'm glad someone's replying. It's very quiet here. I haven't been here in quite a while and when I came back the various brand forums were gone for this new forum. And it seems awfully quiet...

The general discussion forums have been combined with the front-page discussion forums. The hardware forums are still available here (http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f333/). On the surface, it may seem a little quieter than before, but I assure you there's still just as much discussion. :)

Darius Wey
06-27-2008, 02:48 PM
As for non-matte screen protectors, I use Pocket PC Techs' crystal-CLEAR range (http://pocketpctechs.com/main~area~accessories-WriteSHIELD%AE+crystal.htm). They do a good job retaining colour and contrast, and one protector can last the lifetime of your device.