View Full Version : Did Apple just kill Windows Mobile ?

Rocky Sullivan
06-09-2008, 09:22 PM
As a long time Windows Mobile user I have remained a fan of the OS despite the jibes regarding the size of the initial devices, the occasional (but regular) crashes and resets and the lackluster development of the OS over the last 18 months. For me the benefits of the OS far outweighed the negatives and i felt Microsoft were real innovators, particularly in the early days of Pocket PC and through the transition to mobile phones/communication devices. (You know when Palm were arguing that people did not want all these extra features).

As a gadget enthusiast I have also dabbled with the competition - Symbian S60, UIQ and Palm. And I tend to be a two device user - my current setup is a HTC Artemis (used for business) and a Nokia N95 8gb (used for personal /entertainment and mobispine web browsing).

I bought my wife an iphone last year, and was quite impressed with it considering it was a 1st generation product - but it could never tempt me away from my HTC Artemis WM phone - mainly because i did not see it as a smartphone - it was too locked down, too limited. That is until today.

The new iphone looks great, has improved features to compete with both my n95 and Artemis with 3G and GPS (shame about the camera though) and is possibly one of the best PMPs available, with music and movies readily and easily available.

One of the key reasons for me in sticking with Windows Mobile over the years is my 3rd party software investment - some of the great software available for windows mobile can not be matched by the other players at the moment.

But things just got a little more interesting today. The iphone app store looks like a real winner and I am impressed with the level of 3rd party developers involved. I also understand that my favorite and most used WM app - Pocket Informant is in the process of being ported to the iphone.

So i have a difficult decision to make - i am due an upgrade next month and i have been thinking about waiting for the Xperia X1, the HTC touch pro or even the Samsung i900 - but i am really tempted by the new iphone.

Am i the only one ?

MAK11
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
It's just like on the desktop market. Apple announces something which isn't new (but flashy!) and people wonder if Microsoft is going to get the shaft.
Microsoft is selling millions more WM licenses than Apple is selling iPhones and this won't change (just like on the desktop). Different strokes of different folks. There will always be a market for both. Microsoft just sucks a marketing and advertising unlike Apple (even thought they like to twist and lie alots in the presentations...)

txa1265
06-10-2008, 03:22 PM
It's just like on the desktop market. Apple announces something which isn't new (but flashy!) and people wonder if Microsoft is going to get the shaft.
Microsoft is selling millions more WM licenses than Apple is selling iPhones and this won't change (just like on the desktop). Different strokes of different folks. There will always be a market for both. Microsoft just sucks a marketing and advertising unlike Apple (even thought they like to twist and lie alots in the presentations...)

... yet, as it has nearly 100% of the time for more than 25 years, Microsoft will be first in line to copy those things you deride.

Rocky Sullivan
06-10-2008, 06:02 PM

I used to hold pretty much the same view but it feels to me that Microsoft is falling further and further behind lately - I love WM but development has slowed down over the last 18 months. It feels like they have sat back and let the competition take the initiative.

I would add that the desktop market also feels like its changing - Microsoft is still the giant (and by a long way) but Vista hasnt done them any favors, Apple is gaining market share (I even bought my first mac this year and love it) and Linux is also more widespread. My daughters university friends are all using Eee PCs running Linux and they are gaining popularity. Our time on the computer seems to be more about the internet these days and once more people realize that they can do pretty much the same thing (or at least 90%) no matter which desktop OS they use i think we will begin to see less Microsoft dominance. Even giants fall.

txa1265
06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm still mad at them for the crappy Office non-upgrade in the H/PC Pro devices many years ago ... ;)

Don't Panic!
06-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I predict that in the next few years the iPhone will be the next Razr. Starts out big, everybody wants one and pays premium prices. Then suddenly it's the free phone you get for signing up with a service provider. THat's a good thing for Apple isn't it?

Cybrid
06-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I predict that in the next few years the iPhone will be the next Razr. Starts out big, everybody wants one and pays premium prices. Then suddenly it's the free phone you get for signing up with a service provider. THat's a good thing for Apple isn't it?

ROTFLMAO! I could so see it happening. That'd kill of Windows Mobile fo'shure.