View Full Version : Robbie Bach Talks Zune Video Offerings

Jason Dunn
05-07-2007, 06:38 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62010072,00.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62010072,00.htm</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;In an interview with CNET News.com, Bach said Microsoft is looking at other areas where it can combine consumer devices with online services, such as its community site Windows Live Spaces. Later this month, it plans to let Xbox Live users share their &quot;buddy&quot; lists with people who use its Windows Live Messenger. &quot;Ultimately, the idea of us going to create one social community throughout Live services is a very powerful idea,&quot; he said. Separately, Bach said that Microsoft is considering ways to offer video delivery services for its Zune media player. He said certain video types, including TV shows, comedy and user-generated content, work well on small screens like Zune's, but not feature-length movies. Microsoft is contemplating which business models are best suited for these content types.&quot;<br /></em><br />None of this is shocking news, but it's the closest I've seen to Microsoft actually saying &quot;You'll be able to purchase episodic TV content, the same stuff on Xbox Live, for your Zune.&quot; We all knew this was coming, though many were surprised it wasn't ready right out of the gate - I suppose it's an infrastructure issue in part, having to have 320&nbsp; x 240 versions of the TV shows available for download. When you purchase a show in HD via Xbox Live, they also give you access to the standard definition (SD) version for free. So I'm going to hope that the price of Zune shows are going to either be less expensive than the SD versions, or the same price but you'll get the Zune + SD version of the TV show for the same price. Are you willing to pay to watch TV shows on your Zune?

Damion Chaplin
05-07-2007, 08:15 PM
YES!

Here are a list of shows I would gladly pay money for if I missed an episode:

Battlestar Galactica (duh)
Lost
Bones
Dresden Files
Law & Order (all 3)
Rome (I know it's over, but if it weren't I'd buy it)
Any Future Star Trek
Any Past Star Trek
My Name is Earl
30 Rock
Henry Rollins Show
All the other ones I can't think of at the moment

And despite what they say, I would also gladly pay money for feature-length movies, especially in preparation for long airplane trips...

USArcher
05-07-2007, 08:54 PM
No, I'd be much more inclined to buy music videos, artist interviews and other custom content. As far TV Shows, I want & demand that Zune support my Media Center TV show recordings. It doesn't today. Because of that, I am still abit wary of the whole Zune DRM and ecosystem. Zune needs to do more to show that it will play well & extended your overall connected experience over Microsoft's other entertainment platforms. I fully expect that they will go much further in integrating Zune into Media Center and XBox.

tbird
05-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Are you willing to pay to watch TV shows on your Zune?
You bet!
I have converted movies to my Zune, but really would like the option of adding on some weekly tv shows.
If MarketPlace were to add tv shows I would be the first in line.
Dont know if I would buy movies, but tv shows...:D