View Full Version : Problem after erasing video from computer

killashandra
05-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately, I did not know until just now that I cannot erase items from my computer without them disappearing from Zune. I erased the videos that I had loaded on the computer, and they disappeared from the Zune menu - however, they are still in storage. When I check the storage mode they are still there.

I don't like to clutter up the computer with large amounts of music and video either. I generally place all this stuff on back-up disks. So, I should log in as a guest whenever I load stuff, is that it?

And, is there any way ofr getting that video back? Or at least, erasing it, and freeing up the space?

Thanks much for any help anyone gives. :)

Later: DOH!! What a knucklehead - I forgot to look in podcasts - those extra videos were in there. :o

Jason Dunn
05-28-2008, 11:52 PM
It looks like you solved your problem, but I'm curious about this part:

I erased the videos that I had loaded on the computer, and they disappeared from the Zune menu

Is it that you have a small hard drive and can't spare the space and only want to keep the content on your Zune? Or is it that you don't like the idea of having two pieces of content in two places? You're not the first person to complain about this Zune feature, so I'm trying to understand the thinking behind why it's a problem.

grantpet
09-07-2008, 11:23 PM
it just doesn't matter jason, or at least i think your questions about this are really a waste of your time.

aside from the numerous reasons i can give, as long as one user wants download a couple of vids and watch them otg to decide later whether or not they want them permanently stored on the pc or not, ms should make sure they can make it happen.

help ms make the word portable a reality.

you won't ever find out what "most users" think/feel or anything else in forums...if they were to actually go through the trouble to sign in and post about their specific problem they would instantly exclude themselves from your demographic.

you'd get much better results asking this in telephone support i bet.

Jason Dunn
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
you won't ever find out what "most users" think/feel or anything else in forums...if they were to actually go through the trouble to sign in and post about their specific problem they would instantly exclude themselves from your demographic.

Yes, I understand that, but since this is one of the only places where I *can* reach Zune users, it's where I ask these questions. If you don't feel like answering, you don't have to.

grantpet
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
i think that came out all wrong...sorry

i deal with users all the time using only 15GB of a hard drive that is 200GB+ who either think they should be able to put all their music on their new "portable hard drive" or will use that space for whatever reason that isn't dap related.....others think they should be able to get a new podcast via starbuck's wifi and delete it after viewing it, or save it for storage later.

i also get requests nearly every day from someone who's filled up their drive either with x file type or txt log files that are larger than a GB and/or temp files larger than the law should allow lol.

i have yet to run across a single potential or current i-sheep who doesn't think otg file deletions isn't useful to them.

the reasons cover a wide gambit, but when you total them up they far outweigh the rest i'm sure.....again, sorry, it was not my intention to be rude.

Jason Dunn
09-17-2008, 04:53 AM
i think that came out all wrong...sorry

I understand - no worries.

The good news is that in the 3.0 release, there's an option to turn off "Smart Sync", which means things you remove from the PC will *not* be removed from the Zune. :)

naruto_fan
09-18-2008, 02:18 AM
Why is not in astericks is their some hidden clause :P

Jason Dunn
09-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Why is not in astericks is their some hidden clause :P

Putting asterisks around a word is an old-school way of emphasizing it...it means bolded text back before bolded text would render. I'm kind of old I guess...:D

grantpet
09-18-2008, 06:53 PM
we aren't that old darn it!