View Full Version : Good PDA for Pharmacists

BarePaw
05-24-2008, 07:23 AM
I am currently using a 4 year old HP iPaq 4155. It has served me well, but is now on the fritz. I need to get a new PDA quick as I am a pharmacist and rely on it heavily at work for drug info. I have it heavily laden with references, so memory is key.
I am considering getting one that has a phone integrated. What concerns me is that I have never had a cell phone last more than two years, but my PDA has lasted four. What kind of life can I expect from one of these? If I stay with HP, it appears the iPAQ hw6940 is the best I can do. It is better than my current model but I see some with much better specs out there. I was looking at the MWg Atom Life. The specs look good, but I have never heard of the company. Can anybody give me some tips or other models to look at? Thanks.

Cybrid
05-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I am currently using a 4 year old HP iPaq 4155. It has served me well, but is now on the fritz. I need to get a new PDA quick as I am a pharmacist and rely on it heavily at work for drug info. I have it heavily laden with references, so memory is key.
I am considering getting one that has a phone integrated. What concerns me is that I have never had a cell phone last more than two years, but my PDA has lasted four. What kind of life can I expect from one of these? If I stay with HP, it appears the iPAQ hw6940 is the best I can do. It is better than my current model but I see some with much better specs out there. I was looking at the MWg Atom Life. The specs look good, but I have never heard of the company. Can anybody give me some tips or other models to look at? Thanks.

Not having used the device myself, I cannot give you an opinion on it. There are however several reviews of it available.

You may find that the smaller screens of phone/pda's to be harder to use.

One of my friends used a HP 1950 for his pharmacy compendiums and references...I think you'd be fine with just about any hardware. Newer stuff may require software upgrades. This is a cost consideration you should also take into account.

BarePaw
05-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Newer stuff may require software upgrades. This is a cost consideration you should also take into account.

Most of what I use is subscription stuff that is updated continuously anyways. I think that is part of my problem. My current setup is simply too old to handle the newer software updates.