View Full Version : Hi new here and have a big issue with Zune

Dror520
05-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi I'm new and I want to thank all of you for all your posts here in the forum because they really helped me. Now for the main reason why I opened this thread. Before I installed the Zune software I rip all my CD's to my computer with WAV format so it won't do any compression to the files. But now the Zune software can't except the WAV files .... Why didn't they support WAV files ??? now I need to rip all my CD's agian and some stuff aren't in my posesion .... what can I do ?

Jason Dunn
05-18-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm afraid I have some bad news: ripping to WAV wasn't a great decision. :( WAV files aren't supported on any MP3 player I can think of. As for why that is, well, I'd say it's because WAV files are enormous and offer no advantages in sound quality for the average person when compared to a high-bit rate file. I'm curious, did you do any testing before choosing WAV as your format? As in, did you rip at 256 kbps or 320 kbps MP3 and could you hear that the WAV sounded better? If you could, you should go into sound engineering because you have amazing ears. :D

But the good news is that it's easy to change them all into another file format. If you want to retain superb quality but still have compatibility with the Zune (and any other player you decide to switch to in the future), convert them to 320 kbps MP3s using MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com) (a free program). You should be able to do it in batch mode, meaning you can select an album or even a whole genre and convert them all at once. It's going to take a while though depending on how fast your computer is...

Dror520
05-18-2008, 07:20 PM
thx for the reply that is exactly what I'm going to do

onlydarksets
05-19-2008, 12:46 AM
I keep all of my music in lossless WMV, which I then use MediaMonkey to convert for the player I'm using. When I had an iPod, I converted everything to 160Kbps AAC. When I got the Zune, I converted it all to 160Kbps WMV. Storage space is so cheap, and I never ever want to rip 350 CDs again.