View Full Version : Celio Plans Support for Windows Mobile 6.1 and 12 New Phones

Pete Paxton
05-09-2008, 09:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://crm.tmcnet.com/news/2008/05/06/3427193.htm' target='_blank'>http://crm.tmcnet.com/news/2008/05/06/3427193.htm</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;Celio, a provider of mobile solutions for the smartphone market, announced it is planning support for Windows Mobile 6.1 and 12 additional smartphone models during Q2 2008.The company said the new smartphones include Windows Mobile standard models, including the Motorola Q and Samsung Blackjack II. The Redfly makes maximum use of the smartphone without requiring the setup and configuration or the backup and management of an ultralight mobile PC, said Kirt Bailey, Celio president and CEO. Its influence on TCO and Data Loss Prevention in the enterprise is profound, and for corporate customers these are typically some the largest factors that are driving their purchase decisions for Redfly.&quot;<br /><br /></em>Remember the Redfly? It's the device I reported on months ago. It's basically a machine that is dependent on your smartphone to make it work. For $500 you can turn your smartphone into a laptop - sort of. Your smartphone is your OS and the Redfly gives you a nice screen and keyboard - again for $500. Well now Celio is stating that they will produce some 6.1 Windows Mobile devices that will gel nicely with the Redfly. To be honest, I think I'd rather keep my Dash and buy an Eee. What do you think? Is this going to pay off for Celio? Do you plan on buying a Redfly to compliment your smartphone? <em></em>

bobbert
05-09-2008, 06:42 PM
I'd love to spend $250 myself and buy a used Eee instead of a Redfly. Seems like you get more, doesn't it?

That's true in terms of real "capability" and "value". But in terms of usefulness, I'm not sure. Despite being overpriced due to a focus on the corporate market and a virtual monopoly, it might still have value as an overpriced consumer device. Here's what I mean...

=================
Feature --> Best Device
=================

* Easy maintenance --> RedFly
This is easy because the RedFly is basically a thin client dumb terminal. No data synching. Under the covers I'm sure it must be running some O/S, but to the user, it's basically just a screen, keyboard and mouse. No data synching. No Linux or Windows upgrades, virus protection, etc etc.

* Fast on --> RedFly
Booting up, or even coming out of standby or hibernate will take some time. RedFly is instant on.

* Battery Life --> RedFly
An Eee gets, what, about 2.5-3 hrs. People with 3rd party extended batteries can maybe double that, but some are damaging the Eee, and even when Asus produces their own model it will be $100. The RedFly gets something like 6 hrs.

* Use it to work your Win Mobile device --> RedFly
With RedFly, not only do you get the extended screen resolution, but you get BT and USB connection alternatives. You can make external storage look like it's on the WinMobile device. You push a button to connect, and don't even have to take the phone out of your case or purse. With the Eee, you can't do this at all unless you buy the Windows XP version, and then you need more software like from SOTI or else hope one of the free alternatives works on a newer device.

* Make use of your phone's cheap data plan --> RedFly
Here's where you really see a difference in the consumer side. With RedFly, I can browse and use internet apps on the Win Mobile device, and only need the phone data plan. For Sprint, I think that's an awesome deal at something like $15/mo. (That might be the only reason I renew my contract with Sprint instead of moving to another provider.) It's a bit more limited, sure. But it's cheap, and both mobile browsers and websites are getting better. With Eee, you either need to get WinXP and control software like from SOTI, or you need to get a separate $50-$60/mo tethering plan. Oh wait, that only works on WinXP also, doesn't it?

* Security --> RedFly
If you lose your device, you really don't have to worry much. You didn't lose all your data. In fact, you can just get another RedFly and you're instantly ready to go again. Lose a laptop and it could be a problem. Not as much with a small storage Eee, of course, but still you have to set it up and update everything and configure everything etc etc.

* Compatibility --> Eee
Okay. The RedFly is only officially compatible with certain devices. You are dependent on them to ensure that the RedFly has drivers that allow you to use it with other new devices. That can also take time. And if they come out with a new model Redfly, or go broke, how do you know they will ever even make your model support what you want to buy.

* Full laptop power --> RedFly(!)
Okay, maybe I'm stretching it a bit, so I should qualify this statement. But let me tell you waht I'm thinking. If you want a laptop, and control of your WinMobile device is not enough for you, then the RedFly seems to not cut it. But in those cases, the underpowered/underfeatured Eee is really not likely to do it for you either. This is generally if you have specific software that you need to use and can't run on Win Mobile, or requires more power than an Eee to run decently. Well, you might actually be better off doing remote desktop to your home computer than trying to do it on an Eee anyway. Or just pay more and get a better laptop anyway for just a few dollars. Personally, I like the remote desktop solution because it gives me the full home computer power, access to all my home computer capabilities and data (no synching to my laptop or required cloud computing), and it doesn't require XP or a separate data plan for the laptop connection. Plus, less stuff has to go over the phone network - for example loading a large web page, is not really any more data than a simple page. Either way you just have to pass the screen. I've looked at actual remote desktop data usage and it's not nearly as bad as you would think, so conceivably you could also do it without an unlimited plan.

Bottom line is that I'd love a RedFly because it boasts NO maintenance, long battery life, and a very very nice form factor.

The problem with Celio... I think it should be cheaper on the consumer side. I know it's not their market, so I don't blame them, but as a consumer myself, it makes me look at ways I can figure something out myself. New WinMobile phones have VGA or even 800x480 resolution soon from XPERIA. Phones have video out either as an output or via the cable connector. I'm guessing that even an amateur hobbyist type could really build a device for about that does what the RedFly does for about $250. That's half the price. Maybe, if not a software guru, it would require a wired connection. Granted, it wouldn't be as slick as the RedFly or change the video resolution or have the extra storage option. It's the poor man's option. But just to give a phone an external battery powered video and keyboard and mouse (or other pointer) should not be that expensive. Add remote desktop software and you've got a great mobile computing setup on the cheap.

In fact, once I get my next phone, I plan to do something like that myself. I just have to make sure that the phone is capable of the screen resolution and interfacing with the external components. And I'll be doing this with basically ZERO knowledge about such things. Imagine what a product designer could do. But I don't want to spoil the surprise, so I'm not going to give any more clues just yet.

I'm betting that I'm not the only one that sees things this way. I think there's a big market opportunity to do the cheap version of what RedFly has accomplished, but simply by adding a wired/BT screen, keyboard and mouse. I think it's part of what Palm wanted to move towards with Foleo in a way. And that was only something like $350... it's starting to sound like a bargain. Wish I could get one for Win Mobile. But I believe something like this can be done cheap.

Sure, many people will still want a RedFly (I'm one of them) - it's actually like a premium version of what I'm talking about. But for penny pinchers, I really think that this is something which should become a great option in the future. We just need for someone to invest in making such a product.

I'd sure love to hear from others in the comments about what you think about this. Are you aching for a small light laptop form factor that adds a screen, keyboard, mouse to use for your Win Mobile smartphone? Come on. I know you do!

sracer
08-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Celio just updated their website to indicate that another half dozen smartphones are in beta test support for Redfly.

My wife and I both have T-Mobile Dashes and I was "> <" close to buying an EeePC when I read about the Redfly. As soon as the Redfly supports the Dash we'll be picking one up... even at the current price.

Sure I'd like to see it about $100-$150 cheaper but the possibility of taking a single smaller Redfly with us on trips (rather than 2 larger notebooks) is very attractive.