View Full Version : Hands-On With the HTC Touch Diamond

Jason Dunn
05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2008/05/07/htc_touch_diamond_in_action_video' target='_blank'>http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs...in_action_video</a><br /><br /></div><object width="480" height="392" id="revver867436121017649278511902" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://flash.revver.com/player/1.0/player.swf?mediaId=867436&amp;affiliate=160295"><param value="http://flash.revver.com/player/1.0/player.swf?mediaId=867436&amp;affiliate=160295" name="Movie" /><param value="allowFullScreen=true" name="FlashVars" /><param value="true" name="AllowFullScreen" /><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess" /><embed width="480" height="392" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="allowFullScreen=true" allowscriptaccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://flash.revver.com/player/1.0/player.swf?mediaId=867436&amp;affiliate=160295" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><br /><br />Paul from <a href="http://www.modaco.com" target="_blank">MoDaCo</a> and Matt from <a href="http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2008/05/07/htc_touch_diamond_in_action_video" target="_blank">Tracy And Matt's Blog</a> (they really need a new domain name, something like &quot;Daily Unboxings.com&quot;, but I digress...) have published a great hands-on video that shows the HTC Touch Diamond in action. My verdict after watching the video? <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/news/show/88960/htc-touch-diamond-you-ve-seen-pictures-now-see-videos.html" target="_blank">Everything looks nicer in the marketing world</a>. Although the Touch Diamond has some impressive specifications, as you can see in the video, Paul ran into a significant amount of trouble with the controls, getting TouchFlo to work, and even using the d-pad. Maybe this is pre-production hardware, or maybe there was something wrong with this particular device - but it did not look like the fast, fluid, seamless experience I was hoping to see.<br /><br />Another issue with the Diamond, and frankly one that worries me the most because it sets a precedent, is the fact that while they've added 4 GB of storage (which is great!), it's one of the only Windows Mobile devices that I can think of that does not have a memory card. Sure, 4 GB of storage is a nice start, and might be enough for some people, but by breaking the tradition of Windows Mobile devices being expandable, HTC is limiting the potential audience for this device - and making me worry about what's going to be coming next from them. <MORE /><br /><br />Flash memory is cheap (<a href="http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=158255&amp;partner=pthoughts" target="_blank">8 GB of storage on a microSD is only $82 USD</a> [Affiliate]), and it's only going to get cheaper. I expect to see 16 GB microSD cards being offered for around $100 USD by the end of this year, and by not offering a storage card slot HTC is restricting these devices to only being used by people who have a small amount of music/photos/videos or people who won't use the Diamond for media. Why would HTC limit their potential market like that? Was adding the storage card slot really going to alter the design by that much?<br /><br />Just because Apple does something doesn't automatically make it the right decision - I don't want to see HTC go down the road of doing things just like Apple (although offering easy device updates would sure be nice). What do you think?

Fritzly
05-07-2008, 06:18 PM
When the first news about the device came out I was interested but 4GB are not enough for me; at this point I have only two candidates to replace my Touch Dual: Experia and iPhone2.
Btw Apple does not have the ability to use a SD card...for now; I heard interesting rumors about a "Flip iPhone" so who knows.

Frankie1
05-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Looks really impressive, but the bugs with the screen orientation kind of made the whole thing embarassing to us WM users.

Frankie1
05-07-2008, 06:26 PM
I have only two candidates to replace my Touch Dual: Experia and iPhone2.

And why not the XDA Flame running WM6.1, that's what I'm using and frankly I think the EXperia don't stand a chance against it.

virain
05-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Not only it doesn't have Memory card slot, it looks there's no handwriting recognition, a.k.a. Transcriber, only bunch of keyboards. I am disappointed. :(

Dyvim
05-07-2008, 07:46 PM
If they want to copy Apple and have non-expandable storage (which sounds like a bad idea in the first place), they should at least match Apple's current specs and offer 8 GB of storage or preferably 16 GB (since this is supposed to be a premium phone after all). Apple discontinued 4 GB phones before last Christmas.

Some of the eye candy is quite nice (love the rain in the weather app), but even in their YouTube demo videos (which are of course best-case tightly-controlled scenarios) when they do stuff like finger swiping, the photo (or whatever) doesn't move until after the swipe is complete (and with a short but noticeable delay to boot). What makes iPhone finger swiping cool to me is that it's like dragging a window with your mouse on the desktop: the item begins to move almost immediately and tracks with your finger.

PdaAddict
05-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I wish I could say I am surprised by the news of poor performance but unfortunately I am not. Their devices look good on paper and never deliver in reality. No expansion slot and 900 mah battery alone kills this for me. Also, many people may think VGA is great but how much more can you see on a 2.8 screen. Lastly, I really believe that Qualcomm chipsets are inferior to Intel and Samsung solutions. My Mogul is sluggish in all tasks not just video related. I guess it will be Iphone 2 for me after all.

shoey5
05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
The reason HTC didn't put an SD card is because it would have made the device 2mm thicker. Not a big change but they were trying to keep the device as thin as possible which is what a lot of people really wanted.

As they didn't add a capacitive touch screen because it would have limited the Asian Market as they require hand recongition which didn't couldn't do with a non stylus finger touch capacitive screen. So to the comment about there not being any Transcriber, I'm betting it's there, just needs to be enabled through registry.

I agree, it would have been nice to have an SD Card, I'd rather have had 8 gigs over 4 but for what it is, it's a great device. There will be other HTC devices with SD slots for those who can't live without it. Of course these will be thicker and people will be complaining why they can't be as slim as the Touch Diamond :)

Zidane
05-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm betting that Transcriber doesn't even need to be activated. That menu seems to be the configuration menu for that one particular SIP (it seems to be a pretty all-inclusive SIP). At the very bottom of the menu is an option "Other Input Methods" (or something like that). So, it still provides the ability to use Transcriber, etc. And, if they're that concerned about the Asian market, it has to be there.

ianl
05-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Quote:

"Another issue with the Diamond, and frankly one that worries me the most because it sets a precedent, is the fact that while they've added 4 GB of storage (which is great!), it's one of the only Windows Mobile devices that I can think of that does not have a memory card. Sure, 4 GB of storage is a nice start, and might be enough for some people, but by breaking the tradition of Windows Mobile devices being expandable, HTC is limiting the potential audience for this device - and making me worry about what's going to be coming next from them"

Agreed - this is a very worrying trend. The iPhoney has HTC marketing spooked.

So sad to see the iPhoney mentality win. WM devices have real strength in their flexibility and removing the ability to expand with a card destroys this. Limiting the device to tri-band GSM and duo-band UMTS also limits the device geographically ... altogether, too sad !!

But, nobody ever went broke underestimating public taste.

bnycastro
05-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Limiting the device to tri-band GSM and duo-band UMTS also limits the device geographically ... altogether, too sad !!
I was curious with this move too! I find it a stretch to believe that it would be cheaper to make 2 models of triband [1 with an NA band / 1 with EU/Asia/ROW band] vs making 1 model that is quadband and works for most markets? or did they overstock on the triband chips while making the TouchDual and are trying to finish them all? :p

kdarling
05-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Some of the eye candy is quite nice (love the rain in the weather app), but even in their YouTube demo videos (which are of course best-case tightly-controlled scenarios) when they do stuff like finger swiping, the photo (or whatever) doesn't move until after the swipe is complete (and with a short but noticeable delay to boot).

And the iPhone keyboard doesn't register letters until you lift your finger. But you get used to it.

It's just a case of the HTC having a larger gesture vocabulary than the iPhone, so the code needs to wait until you stop moving, to figure out what you want to do. For example, small swipe = change pics, large swipe = change menus, circular = zoom, L-shape = rotate, and so forth.

The iPhone depends on the user constantly breaking from their supposed touchscreen-only paradigm, and using the physical Home button to move between apps or displays. The HTC method lets you stick mostly to the touchscreen. HTC is truer to the touch-only concept than Apple.

Still, I'm like you: I'd rather have a smaller set of gestures and more instant feedback. Perhaps if enough people asked, HTC could have a mode switch.

Dyvim
05-22-2008, 06:37 PM
And the iPhone keyboard doesn't register letters until you lift your finger. But you get used to it.
Actually the iPhone keyboard registers your touch instantly (that's why the little popup with the letter appears), it just doesn't type the keystroke until you release it (allowing you to slide to an adjacent letter or hold for foreign characters or even slide to switch the keyboard to numeric or symbols. So it's not the touchscreen, it's just how Apple implemented their keyboard (whether or not you like it is another story).

It's just a case of the HTC having a larger gesture vocabulary than the iPhone, so the code needs to wait until you stop moving, to figure out what you want to do.
I suspect it has more to do with HTC's touchscreen coding and having to do it all through Windows API's (OnLButtonDown, OnMouseMove, OnLButtonUp, etc.) rather than having touchscreen gesture recognition APIs built into the OS as on the iPhone. The iPhone seems to have little trouble distinguishing between various gestures instantaneously. e.g. Photos app does swipes, double taps, pinch in, and pinch out. Maps does all those plus also recognizes 2-finger double tap as different from 1 finger double tap.

Macguy59
05-23-2008, 02:26 AM
If they get the gesture bugs worked out I would take a serious look at this device. I'm happy with my iPhone but this device looks slick.