View Full Version : MSN Music To Delete DRM Keys - Say Goodbye To Your Music

Ed Hansberry
04-28-2008, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080422-drm-sucks-redux-microsoft-to-nuke-msn-music-drm-keys.html' target='_blank'>http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...c-drm-keys.html</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;Customers who have purchased music from Microsoft's now-defunct MSN Music store are now facing a decision they never anticipated making: commit to which computers (and OS) they want to authorize forever, or give up access to the music they paid for. Why? Because Microsoft has decided that it's done supporting the service and will be turning off the MSN Music license servers by the end of this summer.&quot;</em><br /><br />Just one more reason to love DRM. The only real option you have to keep your music is to burn it to CD then rip it back. That solution works ok for entire CD's downloaded, but it is a bit of a pain for individual songs as you have to spend a lot of time putting the song info back into the track, like the album name, artist, etc. This is why the only place I currently buy <a href="http://www.amazon.com/mp3" target="_blank">digital music from is Amazon</a>, where their MP3's are unlocked to begin with.

possmann
04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah - I actually went out and bought a $20 DRM converter application - works great to convert DRM .wma files to unloacked and DRM free .mp3 files. Luckly I didn't buy that many songs from MSN Music...

Hosidax
04-28-2008, 07:04 PM
And what is the name of this magical "DRM converter" application?

Tim Williamson
04-28-2008, 07:33 PM
This is why the only place I currently buy digital music from is Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/mp3), where their MP3's are unlocked to begin with.

Amazon is the only place I've ever purchased music online. Until my death, I'll never purchase DRM'd music.... :)

whydidnt
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
I third the Amazon recommendation. Good selection, decent price, and easy to use. I wonder how many music sales have been lost over the years by the inclusion of DRM technologies. I know I have refused to buy anything after a bungled attempt at trying to use Yahoo for this a few years back. It's just not worth the hassle.

This is a perfect example of why many of us have been speaking against the DRM business model for so long. It's not about protecting content, it's about content sellers wanting to sell us the same content several times. We've now seen two MAJOR online retailers, Amazon and MS abandon their DRM'd content. At least Amazon stepped up and provided refunds to their customers. I think MSN is opening themselves up to some sort of liability if they don't provide some alternative way for people continue to use their legally purchased music after they close the store. The irony is Microsoft WANTS everyone to upgrade their OS and computers on a regular basis, yet this decision would certainly lead some to hold off, since they won't be able to transfer their music, without some sort of significant hassle.

altden
04-29-2008, 05:00 AM
May I also suggest magnatunes in addition to amazon.

Magnatunes sells MP3 without DRM, lets you name your own price above a minimum (which is about $6 I think), re-download if you lost your files and they don't mind if you share your purchase with up to 3 friends.
The selection is limited of course, but I always check there before going to amazon.

iant54
04-29-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't think the software I'm using is the same as the program possman has, but it's very easy to use, but costs $35 - http://www.noteburner.com/

whydidnt
04-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I haven't used it (no DRM music for me!), but I remember reading on DIGG or Engadget about FairUse4WM, which is supposed to provide a free way to strip DRM from Windows Media. If you Google it, I'm sure you'll come across it.

makicr
04-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Watch out what you recommend re: stripping DRM, as if you are in the US you may be violating the DMCA (or the EUCD if you live in the EU). If you are in Canada, strip away.

For those of you that have been living under a technological rock, the DMCA "criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services that are used to circumvent measures that control access to copyrighted works (commonly known as DRM) and criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, even when there is no infringement of copyright itself." While there are a few exceptions, none appear to be relevant on the face. You may get some mileage with the exception for "obsolete software and video game formats," but no guarantees.

The mere listing of the products to strip the DRM from the songs may subject ThoughtsMedia to liability under the statutes.

P.S. Nothing here is legal advice, just trying to be helpful.

doogald
04-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Watch out what you recommend re: stripping DRM, as if you are in the US you may be violating the DMCA (or the EUCD if you live in the EU). If you are in Canada, strip away.

For those of you that have been living under a technological rock, the DMCA "criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services that are used to circumvent measures that control access to copyrighted works (commonly known as DRM) and criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, even when there is no infringement of copyright itself." While there are a few exceptions, none appear to be relevant on the face. You may get some mileage with the exception for "obsolete software and video game formats," but no guarantees.

Interestingly, the e-mail from MSN Music announcing this detailed what you can do to make sure that you still have access to music that you purchased. (Their instructions were to burn the songs to an audio CD and then re-rip them.)

makicr
04-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Interestingly, the e-mail from MSN Music announcing this detailed what you can do to make sure that you still have access to music that you purchased. (Their instructions were to burn the songs to an audio CD and then re-rip them.)

That method would be changing the music content from the original digital format, reducing the quality in many situations. What the others were discussing was to modify the actual digital file, to strip off the DRM.