View Full Version : A portable email / browser (non-cell) solution?

txa1265
04-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi:

My work laptop is severely limited in terms of access - it is more than just the corporate firewall, the local permissions are so tight that I can't even get FireFox on there, let alone use webmail or anything else to access personal stuff.

So I need a solution to go grab personal email and limited web browsing over lunch at a local wifi spot.

I don't want to have to lug my personal Macbook Pro (or worse yet my 17" Dell XPS) around to do that, and the company also doesn't allow any cell-phones with cameras on site, so I'm thinking of one of the new UMPC's (like the HP Mini-Note 2133) or an iPod touch as a solution ... or something else.

I would have a few forum sites to visit as well as a bunch of personal email accounts (.mac, hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc). WiFi access is not a problem, as there are a couple of free access points very close to my work.

Has anyone done this? What do you use? How well does it work? Any tips or advice?

Thanks,

Mike

Chris Gohlke
04-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Check out the N800 review on the front page of Digtial Home Thoughts. Might be just what you are looking for.

txa1265
04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately the integrated camera means I can't bring it in the door at work ...