View Full Version : Connection Sharing

Brad Adrian
04-22-2008, 02:13 AM
I KNOW this has been answered here before, but I sure can't find it!

I'm trying to use my Tilt to connect my Notebook to the Internet via USB, using WinXP.

WHERE, oh where, are those instructions?

Brad

Sven Johannsen
04-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Did you find ICS in the Windows Directory? It's IntShrUI.exe For some odd reason ATT didn't see fit to provide a link to that in Programs. I just put a shortcut in the programs directory under Start Menu under Windows.

Once it is up it should be pretty self explanatory, You pick USB in the PC connection dropdown, and whatever data connection in the Network Connection dropdown.

Brad Adrian
04-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Excellent!
Excellent!
Excellent!

Works great! Thanks for the help!

Sven Johannsen
04-24-2008, 05:04 PM
That's great. I haven't made it work with BT yet, but if I'm tethering a laptop, I'm usually sitting still, and the cable isn't a bother. I blame it on the BT stacks on the laptops I've tried.

Brad Adrian
04-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Same here. About the only time I've used/needed connection sharing has been while sitting in an airport, and that's also usually when I can use a quick device recharge via the USB port. Besides, it's actually faster to reach into my bag for a USB cable than to mess with getting the Bluetooth connection to work!

Arwen
01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
you might want to look into Walking Hotspot software. For $24.99 you get software that turns your wi-fi enabled phone into a wi-fi hotspot that allows up to 5 connections and sends the data over the 3G network (just like tethering the phone, just no USB cable required). :-) Unlimited data plan highly recommended.

Brad Adrian
02-27-2009, 04:11 AM
...you might want to look into Walking Hotspot software...
From what I can tell, the function of WalkingHotSpot is to help set up an ad-hoc WiFi connection between a PC and Windows Mobile device; then, the PC can use that relationship to connect to the Internet via the WM device's 3G connection, right?

What's the difference between

1) using WalkingHotSpot
2) manually setting up your own ad-hoc WiFi connection, or
3) simply using a Bluetooth partnership to share the Internet connection?

WalkingHotSpot costs $24.99, has no demo version and, as far as I can see, doesn't do anything that other methods (or a USB cable) can accomplish. Or, am I missing something?

As far as I'm concerned, using Bluetooth to share an Internet connection is virtually fool-proof and entirely intuitive.

Kilian Caer
07-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Your using peer to peer network connection. windows xp profeesional allows to connect 10 maximum computers. remove one computer that can connect and then connect the fifth one if it works maybe thats the problem if not, check your local connection settings.