View Full Version : My Last eReader eBook?

Ed Hansberry
04-18-2008, 04:00 AM
<p>I guess I just purchased my last ebook from eReader.com. Friday night I browsed, purchased and downloaded an ebook through the eReader Pro application, just like I've done many times before, 98 times before to be exact. For some reason, the book I downloaded wouldn't unlock on my device. My name and credit card haven't changed since signing up with the service in 1998 or 1999, so I downloaded the book again thinking it was corrupted. I also downloaded from my desktop and transferred the book over. No joy. So I dutifully went to the eReader support page and filed a problem ticket Saturday morning. They responded with the response I half-way expected. They didn't read my email and just explained to me what my name was and which credit card to use to unlock the ebook.<br /></p><p>I politely responded back within about 10 minutes that I understand how the process works, how I've done this almost 100 times before, and that there is something wrong with that book and maybe it needs to be re-encoded. Two days later, I received an email that told me they gave up and refunded me the money.<br /></p><p>I guess this is what happened when FictionWise purchased them. I am sure this isn't the first time I've purchased a book after the FictionWise acquisition, but it might be the first time I've purchased since they migrated to a single platform, and rather than make even the smallest amount of effort to find out what the problem is, they effectively told me &quot;Well, we have no clue, and it doesn't matter that you've purchased 98 books in 10 years. We don't have time to fool with it, so here is your money back. Now, go away.&quot;<br /></p><p>From Peanut Press to Palm to Motoricity, I've never had an issue that wasn't quickly resolved with the eReader store. Now that FictionWise has it, it took them from Friday to Wednesday to just refund the money and not bother. If they keep that level of customer service up, the company will change hands yet again in the near future at a price below what FictionWise paid for it. :(</p>

bkerrins
04-18-2008, 04:11 AM
I realize it's frustrating when that happens, but I'm not sure I agree with their intent. Maybe they don't have a clue why it won't work, but rather than tell you "it's going to take us 2 weeks to figure out what happened we're going to hold onto your money while you wait at our mercy to fix it." Instead they did the 'best' thing and said, "here's your money back, sorry about that."

Ed Hansberry
04-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Well, I've had problems like this in the past with other online services (DRM, software installation issues, etc.) and they never gave up after the standard "Copy|Paste a reply based on keywords in their email" response. I've actually had someone come back to me and say "Yeah, we've seen this with others and there is obviously something we need to work out on this end. Let us refund your money for now and then let us contact you again as soon as possible when we think the problem is rectified."

I just thought it was a very strange and abrupt end to an issue that shouldn't take 48 hrs between responses in the first place.

l0wey
04-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Yep couldn't agree more - Fictionwise ptooey.
I've also been a long time customer (59 at last count) through Palm 3 to WM6.
I recently "discovered" the starfist series and I'm working my way throught them.
I'm up to book 5 (of ? not sure, but lots) I went to download book 6 in the series and it wouldn't go into my cart.
Logged a ticket and was told
"There is a problem with that book and it has been withdrawn from sale"
That was it!
No "We are working on the problem let you know when it is fixed"
I even replied about my concern at the lack of a book 6 in a series.
No answer.
Any idea where I can get a 2001 published ebook?

jsp91470
04-18-2008, 06:42 AM
You can log into your account and reset the credit card info for your entire library. I don't think you can reset just one book, but if you've used a variety of credit cards over the years it's useful for getting all your books to unlock with the same one.

juni
04-18-2008, 07:45 AM
At least their e-book reader is nice, even if you don't buy your books from there. :)

Clankman
04-18-2008, 01:21 PM
I hate to say it, but this is exactly how people legitimize stealing media using torrent sites. I use Ereader.com and have 174 books I've bought from them. I also have about 10 more that a friend loaned to me, that he activated on my glofiish.

He has over a thousand books in lit format that he has not paid a dime for. I don't feel that is right, but if they are providing this kind of customer service they have no place to complain when people seek other sources. I guess I could just go to the library and read them in hardcopy for free.

Keep us updated if this article gets you some satisfaction.

Russ Smith
04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I've been a Fictionwise customer for years now since I noticed they had some offerings that eReader.com didn't. I never had any problems so I never had the opportunity to test out their customer service. I have re-downloaded ebooks that I'd already purchased and even changed the default unlock code to match my new card number without an issue.

Your experience gives me pause though. I tend to be rather vindictive when it comes to poor customer service. I don't tolerate it. So now I'm stuck with a dilemma: Fictionwise owns eReader. They are currently my only source of eBooks. If I make a "solidarity" move, where do I go?

whydidnt
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
This is yet another example of how DRM hurts content providers rather than helping. If they weren't so darned concerned about locking down the book, you'd have it to read, and they'd have their money today. Instead nobody's happy, but at least you didn't share their "valuable" work with 5 of your closest friends (the way you could with a real book). :rolleyes:

txa1265
04-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the post. I have just gotten back into my PDA ways after a few years of not needing one, and today grabbed 'Grand Theft Childhood' from Simon & Schuster directly ($6 cheaper than on eReader as well!). The process was quick and painless ... fortunately!

Paragon
04-19-2008, 01:29 AM
I have been a big supporter of Peanut Press/ereader for many years. I have reviewed their service. I have interviewed members of their staff. I have pushed their service on many sites back as far as my Pocket PC Passion days.....I am now rather concerned. Since the Fictionwise takeover I have noticed a real downturn in the quality and quantity of their new releases. They don't update the site as often as they once did, and now I read this. I truly hope they are not going to let this once great ebook site slide into oblivion......Fictionwise, take note! Please!

Dave

Gary.Lavin
04-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I have used both eReader and MS Reader, so try MS Reader support before you say too much about eReader. I can't get either product to run on WM 6.1 so I'm looking for another solution. Any suggestions?

Steve Jordan
04-19-2008, 10:33 PM
This is yet another example of how DRM hurts content providers rather than helping.

Well, it's really just an example of how bad customer service hurts content providers by driving away customers. I'm not saying I like DRM, but let's call a spade a spade. It was the slack response to a problem that is at fault here. eReader ought to be able to do better than that.

Steve Jordan
04-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I have used both eReader and MS Reader, so try MS Reader support before you say too much about eReader. I can't get either product to run on WM 6.1 so I'm looking for another solution. Any suggestions?

I'd give MobiPocket a try. Not only can you get a lot of books in Mobipocket format, from multiple sources, but since Amazon's new Kindle works essentially off the Mobipocket format, you can use it to read Mobi books, and to download books from Amazon. Mobi is one of the most popular and widely-used e-book formats out there.

Ed Hansberry
04-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Well, it's really just an example of how bad customer service hurts content providers by driving away customers. I'm not saying I like DRM, but let's call a spade a spade. It was the slack response to a problem that is at fault here. eReader ought to be able to do better than that.

Exactly. I've always said the DRM by eReader is the most consumer friendly, but it sort of assumes that there is a customer service department to help out when it fails. FOr me, that is 1.010101010101010101010101010101% of the time, and no one was there to help.:mad:

bathyscaph
04-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I like the eReader format a lot but have mostly given up buying from them eReader website. Fortunately, there are some great alternatives.

The best I've found is a place called Books on Board. You can get eReader files as well as most other e-book types. They have great prices and frequent sales. I have also bought some eReader books from Powells.

http://www.booksonboard.com/