View Full Version : Unboxing & First Impressions of the hp tx2051 Tablet PC [Part 2]

Jason Dunn
04-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Here's my unboxing and first impressions of the hp tx2051 Tablet PC (part two of two). This video features some sarcastic text overlay comments as I correct myself on the errors I noticed after I finished shooting. ;-)<br /><br /><embed width="425" height="355" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HBQeDEacJfE&amp;hl=en"></embed> <br /><br />If you have a YouTube account, please rate, comment, and subscribe to our channel. Thanks for your support! Looking for part one? <a href="http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/88564/unboxing-first-impressions-of-the-hp-tx2051-tablet-pc.html" target="_blank">You can find it here</a>.

djdj
04-16-2008, 02:26 PM
I almost bought one of these, until I discovered that it doesn't have a FireWire port. So I ended up getting a Toshiba M700 instead, and I'm glad I did. I like the Tosh so much more... much faster processor, and only a few dollars more than the HP.

Jason Dunn
04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
I almost bought one of these, until I discovered that it doesn't have a FireWire port.

Good point - the fact that it was missing Firewire didn't really register with me when I was going over the unit. I take it you wanted it for connecting your video camera? It's interesting how Firewire is pretty much dead - video cameras are moving toward Flash memory and USB 2.0 for transfers, so Firewire is going the way of the serial port...but I still need it on any device that I use either of my two video cameras with.

txa1265
04-17-2008, 01:24 PM
It's interesting how Firewire is pretty much dead - video cameras are moving toward Flash memory and USB 2.0 for transfers, so Firewire is going the way of the serial port...but I still need it on any device that I use either of my two video cameras with.

It is actually pretty sad - I can transfer video from an old Sony video-cam over FireWire (400) on my old Apple TiBook faster than my son can transfer from his new video cam to a new PC laptop over USB 2.0 ...

Jason Dunn
04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
It is actually pretty sad - I can transfer video from an old Sony video-cam over FireWire (400) on my old Apple TiBook faster than my son can transfer from his new video cam to a new PC laptop over USB 2.0 ...

Yup, in my tests years ago I found Firewire 400 to be noticeably faster than USB 2.0...which is kind of sad given that on paper USB 2.0 has an 80 mbps advantage over Firewire. :rolleyes:

Sven Johannsen
04-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Firewire Express Card http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?424373

I'm making the assumption when you are using this, it isn't going to be a big deal that it sticks out a little. If it for a video camera, keep it in the camera case.

Jason Dunn
04-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Firewire Express Card...

Good suggestion Sven! :)

txa1265
04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Firewire Express Card http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?424373

I'm making the assumption when you are using this, it isn't going to be a big deal that it sticks out a little. If it for a video camera, keep it in the camera case.

That is a great suggestion. It is interesting that in my particular case the laptop (17" Dell XPS) has Firewire, but the camera didn't.

Jason Dunn
04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
...but the camera didn't.

Ok, now you've got me really confused - you said you were using a Sony camera with Firewire 400...so what camera were you using that doesn't have Firewire? :confused:

txa1265
04-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Ok, now you've got me really confused - you said you were using a Sony camera with Firewire 400...so what camera were you using that doesn't have Firewire? :confused:

Sorry to be vague - I was comparing my camera (the Sony) to my son's (one of those FlipVideo things). So it isn't a really fair comparison, I guess ...

burnabytom
04-21-2008, 06:15 AM
I'd be interested in the PCMark05 and 3DMark06 scores, if you find the time. I was reviewing the Dell XP and Toshiba M700 and was disappointed to find out that the processor speed/graphics power were so poor. I'm using a 2 year old Dell 820, which is more a fair sight more powerful than either of those machines. I didn't want to sacrifice power just to get the tablet form factor.

tom

Jason Dunn
04-23-2008, 07:05 PM
I'd be interested in the PCMark05 and 3DMark06 scores, if you find the time.

Well, it's running Vista so I used PC Mark Vantage x64 to benchmark it - do you think it's relevant to run PCMark05 on it? Their 3D Mark Vantage product isn't ready yet...so there's no Vista-specific 3D benchmark tool from them yet. Although this laptop really isn't much of a 3D powerhouse, so I don't know how much point there is. :)

burnabytom
04-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Although the Vantage products have been built for the Vista systems, I've been running the older pcmark and 3dmark without issue. Since I've tested the other contenders with these tools, it gives me a comparison. None of these machines is a graphics powerhouse, but some, when combined with an anemic processor chip, do very poorly. Since these are tablets, their graphics processing should be reasonable, don't you think? Some vendors have been putting enhanced graphics chips in their offerings, but inferior processors, others better processors, but run of the mill graphics.

entropy1980
04-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Just ordered one. Looks like according to amazon this particular 2000 series model DOES have Firewire. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015HTXX2

Jason Dunn
04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Although the Vantage products have been built for the Vista systems, I've been running the older pcmark and 3dmark without issue.

Ok, I'll give them a try. :-)

Jason Dunn
04-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Just ordered one. Looks like according to amazon this particular 2000 series model DOES have Firewire. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015HTXX2

Ah, interesting - I had assumed (oops, there's the problem!) that HP would have sent me the "unit with everything", but I guess not. Glad to see there's one that comes with Firewire!

entropy1980
04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Ah, interesting - I had assumed (oops, there's the problem!) that HP would have sent me the "unit with everything", but I guess not. Glad to see there's one that comes with Firewire!

I'll let you know if actually does come with Firewire or if it's an Amazon typo as soon as I get my hands on it :)

sbono13
04-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Mine does NOT have firewire.

Have you tried to connect a MediaCenter Extender to the TX2000 series? My xbox 360 won't connect to it, and I'm thinking that both the fingerprint reader and the Wacom digitizer drivers may be interfering. I'd like to know whether you have the same problem.

entropy1980
04-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Mine does NOT have firewire.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

Which model is yours?

Jason Dunn
04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Have you tried to connect a MediaCenter Extender to the TX2000 series?

Nope, I haven't. I can't guarantee anything, but I'll do my best to test that scenario out...although I'm somewhat leery of breaking what's already working. :cool:

sbono13
04-24-2008, 10:57 PM
***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

Which model is yours?

I configured it from hp.com-- it's just a tx2000 that I customized.

Jason Dunn
04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Although the Vantage products have been built for the Vista systems, I've been running the older pcmark and 3dmark without issue.

OK, so I'll include this in my actual review, but since you were curious, the unit did 3452 PC Marks. I'm having a hell of a time getting PC Mark 2006 installed though - it just won't install even when I run it as an admin. I wonder if it's a 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue? Looks like the new 3D Mark is coming out in two days...

Jason Dunn
04-29-2008, 06:55 PM
I'll let you know if actually does come with Firewire or if it's an Amazon typo as soon as I get my hands on it :)

So did it come with Firewire? HP told me today via email that no model of the tx2000 comes with Firewire...:confused:

entropy1980
04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
So did it come with Firewire? HP told me today via email that no model of the tx2000 comes with Firewire...:confused:

Just came in today... and drumroll....... nope! I love Amazon but bummer of bummers no FireWire I am sending amazon a message to update the listing to reflect the fact it DOES NOT have FireWire. Oh well good thing I have an express card FireWire card handy I guess!

Jason Dunn
04-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Just came in today... and drumroll....... nope! I love Amazon but bummer of bummers no FireWire I am sending amazon a message to update the listing to reflect the fact it DOES NOT have FireWire. Oh well good thing I have an express card FireWire card handy I guess!

Awww man, I was hoping that perhaps HP got it wrong and they had one model with Firewire - sorry to hear that. Hopefully the rest of the laptop is great though...I found that once I uninstalled all the crap (Norton Antivirus, AIM, etc.) I shaved 20 or so seconds off the boot time and it was much more responsive after I logged in. I pity anyone that runs it "as is". :(

entropy1980
04-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Awww man, I was hoping that perhaps HP got it wrong and they had one model with Firewire - sorry to hear that. Hopefully the rest of the laptop is great though...I found that once I uninstalled all the crap (Norton Antivirus, AIM, etc.) I shaved 20 or so seconds off the boot time and it was much more responsive after I logged in. I pity anyone that runs it "as is". :(

Yeah I was bummed but at least I can add one, would have been a real problem if I couldn't! So far I am really digging the laptop though. The size is great for some reason all the videos I have seen make it seem bigger than it is. I have never liked HPs laptops but they really made a nice device at the right pricepoint so definite thumbs up from me so far!