View Full Version : I'm in Seattle for the 2008 MVP Summit

Jason Dunn
04-15-2008, 07:42 AM
For those that don't know, I've been a <a href="http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/" target="_blank">Microsoft MVP</a> since 1997. Back then I was a Windows CE MVP, and now I'm a Windows Mobile MVP (with a bit of Zune MVP thrown in there for good measure). I've lost track of how many MVP Summits I've been to, but I'm back at it again, this time spanning both the Zune and Windows Mobile worlds, talking to both teams on different days. <br /><br />I normally try to do a &quot;so what should I tell the product team about?&quot; post, but with the hack and post-vacation email overload, I just didn't have time. <a href="http://www.zunerama.com/articles_029.php#080411_zune_story" target="_blank">Harvey over at Zunerama</a> has done a nice job in terms of getting some direct Zune community feedback. Anything from you Zune Thoughts readers? What kind of feedback would you like me to deliver to the Zune team? On the Windows Mobile side of things, well, I think I have a pretty good handle on what you guys want after all these years. ;-) But if there's anything in particular that you'd like me to focus on with the teams, please let me know in the comments.<br /><br />I should add that one of the neatest things about the MVP Summit is getting to meet people face to face that I've never met before - like our very own, freshly-MVP'd Jon Westfall. Others, like Ed Hansberry and Mike Temporale I've had the pleasure of meeting many times over the years at various events. It's always nice to put faces with the names and avatars!

Darius Wey
04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Enjoy! Wish I had the time to make it over this year. :(

c1oudrs
04-15-2008, 10:19 AM
I think I have a pretty good handle on what you guys want after all these years. ;-) But if there's anything in particular that you'd like me to focus on with the teams, please let me know in the comments.<br /><br />

Microsoft in general is so painful right now you just want to reach out and shake them. I just tried to do my taxes online on a windows mobile device. Eh-eh, not with 2 separate browsers. So I'm not feeling charitable.

Bill Gates predicted sub-notebooks/umpcs for under $500. So what does Microsoft do--build a Vista bloated operating system and leave window mobile crippled (yes window mobile--since you can only see one window at a time). crippled because its dependent on PCs. Still. For lots of things <shake, shake>.

Bill Gates announced a priority that all devices ought to have connectivity with other devices. I don't remember how far back that was, but it was while he was still president. That's been awhile <shake, shake>. Even Microsoft devices don't talk/connect with other microsoft devices. <Shake,shake>.

Golly gee. Microsoft could do all kinds of stuff like set standards for connectivity. Use infrared or fm radio to turn on cumbersome bluetooth setup for instance if Microsoft had activesinc security issues with wifi sync. Innovate. Make it convenient, or someone else will.

Anyway, love both digital home and ppc thoughts. Hope they listen to you better than the president (now ex-president) of their company.

jaxim
04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd like to stress to the Zune team that they should issue out updates more often. If they are going to take a long time to issue updates, there should be a lot of feature updates when they are issued. In the past, the updates have been few and far between. And when an update was issued, it was a small change.

As for features, I'd like them to fix the Zune software so aspects of it are as good as version 1. Version 2 is missing some useful features compared to version1. For example, being able to edit the meta data of multiple files at one time, being able to modify and view the sync list, being able to sort videos in more categories other than by date and name.

I remember when Caesar previewed the new software to a group of us in NYC. He seemed to expect that we'd be floored by how pretty it is, but most of us were more concerned about the functionality rather than its form. Although the new Zune software is indeed pretty, the Zune team really needs to work out the kinks of the functionality.

efjay
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Just tell the MS team its time to wake up to the competition before its too late. The latest iphone "feature" that's now getting promoted as the next big thing - saving images from webpages. Every trivial feature the iphone has is trumpted as the height of innovation but even though WM can do most of these things its regarded as an inferior OS. With Android, 3G iphones and now Nokia's Tube WM runs the risk of becoming irrevelant very quickly. Its time for MS to put up or shut up.

txa1265
04-15-2008, 02:28 PM
It is hard to believe that it has been over 10 years ... I remember the announcement on Usenet like it was yesterday ... have a great time!

ajwalker
04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I am very impressed with the comments left so far and I have to echo them with one addition: Please tell them to fix Pocket (Mobile) Media Player. Aside from the browsing experience, it is the biggest let down and severly damages their "out-of-the-box" user experience.

Yes, I know there are other third party apps and I use them. But, as a true Windows Mobile fan, Microsoft should not be playing second fiddle to anyone. It is so frustrating to look at Windows Mobile and see so much potential continually squandered. It's like no one at Microsoft has any vision anymore.

As efjay and c1oudrs said, there is so much potential there but Microsoft seems content to taking their own sweet time to releasing updates, upgrades and new releases. When Apple can trumpet a feature already available on other platforms as the height of innovation something is wrong, really wrong.

Tell them to hurry up and wake up.

Cut back as many layers (people, departments) as possible that keeps things from happening quickly. Stop talking and start DOING. Their current tag line is "You can do more when your phone runs Window Mobile" Well, Microsoft can do more for Windows Mobile.

And hire a kick - butt marketing firm to continually show Average Joe and Jane Consumer why Windows Mobile is the best platform for work AND play.

timmy
04-15-2008, 07:45 PM
As for the Zune, I would ask Microsoft to start selling it outside the US.

I have been eyeing the new Zunes since they were released, but here in Europe the choice between Ipod and Zune is : iPod. Microsoft doesn't even try to sell them here for some reason. That they didn't sell them outside the US the first year can be understandable, trying out the market. But it's been some years now....

Rocco Augusto
04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Have fun in Seattle Jason!

I would love to see more eye candy in Windows Mobile. I think the WM6.1 Standard homescreens are a huge leap forward in ease of use and finally, after almost two years of being on the market, tackled the hideous problem of the default Windows Mobile Smartphone theme on a Landscape QVGA device. :)

Some more eye candy on the back end though couldn't hurt either. I shouldn't stop seeing 'pretty' just because I went into the start menu :D

I would also like to see larger screens. I know this is really a complaint for the hardware manufacture but just because I'm on a Standard device, it shouldn't mean that I should be stuck with this super tiny screen. Browsing the Internet is hard enough on the device with Pocket IE, the screen just makes it more of a nuisance.

It would be just so much nicer if Microsoft did to the Smartphone exactly what they did to the Zune and take control of the hardware and gave us something truly awesome. :)

ajwalker
04-15-2008, 08:54 PM
It would be just so much nicer if Microsoft did to the Smartphone exactly what they did to the Zune and take control of the hardware and gave us something truly awesome. :)

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

Yes, Rocco, there is no reason that the back end / menus couldn't / shouldn't be prettier.

Icons for menu options, sheesh, how hard as is that?:eek:

As for taking control of the hardware, Microsoft really needs to get on that bandwagon quick.

Some people might not like the Sidekick (the iMate iteration is pretty sweet IMHO), but Microsoft acquiring Danger and then issuing their own handset with the Danger backend (running Windows Mobile) would go a long way to showing they are serious about Windows Mobile as a platform for the long haul.

Or, purchase iMate, slap Microsoft over the logo and be done with it.:confused:

Rocco Augusto
04-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Or, purchase iMate, slap Microsoft over the logo and be done with it.:confused:

That is kind of what I felt they did with the first generation of the Zune, purchasing Toshiba's hardware and slapping a logo on it. Once Microsoft took control of the hardware, they gave us a really cool and sleek device. And no matter how much people make fun of the touch pad on it, they developed a way to solve a age old problem in a very attractive manner. They turned navigation into something could be sudo touch-based without spending and arm and a leg on an attractive touch based display for the Zune.

Oh, now that I think about it. I would really like to see that same touch technology make its way into the the Windows Mobile Standard lineup of handsets. That would be awesome :D

Ed Hansberry
04-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I just tried to do my taxes online on a windows mobile device. Eh-eh, not with 2 separate browsers. So I'm not feeling charitable.
I cannot imagine a more painful experience. It took me hours to do my taxes on a full blown PC with a big screen and full size keyboard/mouse. :eek: