View Full Version : Music Downloads on Net Access Tab?

Suhit Gupta
03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-99...g=2547-1_3-0-20 (http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9905404-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20)

"Hotels tack extra charges onto your bill when you raid the minibar--or if they're really mean, when you steal towels. If a new Warner Music Group executive gets his way, your Internet service provider will be billing you each month for music downloads. Jim Griffin, Warner's latest top-shelf hire and the former head of Geffen Music, told Portfolio.com the details of a radical new strategy to deal with the record industry's 21st-century crisis. According to Griffin's plan, to which he said Warner Music is "totally committed," a monthly fee added to an Internet service bill--say, five bucks--could give consumers unlimited access to music that they could download, copy, and share. He estimated that this could provide as much $20 billion per year to reimburse artists and copyright holders."

Ugh! This is what happens when an ex-music industry exec takes over. I can see how checking at the ISP level is one way to monitor music downloads, but isn't this bordering on 'big brother watching'? I am all for artists and copyright holders getting compensated, but between the DRM, pay-for-unlimited-music services, iTunes (and similar services) and all the other technologies available, do we need to add more inconvenience to our lives? I feel like the people that are following the rules are the ones that are hurt all the more. I dunno, I was just a little annoyed when I read this, maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

whydidnt
03-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Why should the ISP's serve as the Music Industries Collection Agency? I've got a better idea. Why doesn't the Music industry simply eliminate the middle man and make unlimited downloads available to all for $5.00/month? It's a reasonable figure and they would probably have millions of subscribers almost instantly. Eliminate the DRM that has made Rhapsody, Yahoo, Naptser unusable for many of us and solve the issue once and for all.

It's so ridiculous that these industries continue to insist on the government, ISP's, colleges, etc. to try and protect their old, tired business model. If $5.00 a month will do it, then just set up the site and done with it already. Just don't insist on the ISP's covering the cost and making those who don't download music subsidize the rest of us. :mad: