View Full Version : GSM Data while traveling overseas (Africa)??

samw5
03-28-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm trying to figured out what option I may have for data in GSM countries where local carriers don't have 3G or GPRS available (mainly in some African countries).

I'm currently on AT&T with a 8525 phone which works great for voice but email/web isn't available in very many of the countries I travel to.

I was wondering if a DUN ISP would allow to receive emails (at least) via the slow GSM voice connection. If so do you recommend a particular service (business quality).

If not what other alternatives do I have, short of purchasing a pre-paid plan in each country visited (some still won't be offering data service).

Any input would be welcome!

samw5
04-02-2008, 08:57 PM
i guess not too many people have that issue these days but anyone has any ideas on what might be available while on GSM only carriers?

Would Blackberry require a data connection as well (I'm assuming so) and if not how is market support in those countries?

Thanks,
Sam

Kadegboye
04-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi,
I don't think that you should have any problem getting your e-mails and phone calls provided you have 1/ a tri- or quad band GSM phone 2/ you have unlimited voice and data program with your carrier 3/ and you don't mind paying for the service. Most, if not all African countries have GSM services and indeed some even have CDMA services. Some may not have 3G but you can get the services mentioned above. I live in the USA but visits my country of origin - Nigeria quite often. I used XDA II and currently HTC Kaiser on T-Mobile network. Anywhere I visit in the world- Europe, Africa (Nigeria) - my phone automatically picks up signals and I can get my voice and data as I want. You may need to inform your carrier and subscribe to international program so that they can charge you for roaming in those countries.
Kay.