View Full Version : Need a different "phone" application for WM6

phermi
03-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Hello,

New user here ... so forgive me if my topics doesn't fit here. I am looking for guidance and enlightnement. Hopefully you can point me in the right directiosn .....

Does anyone know how to contact the development team for Windows Mobile 6 or how can develop a smar "phone" application?

Weird question, ah?
Well we just need to provide feedback to them in regards of the phone application or get someone to develope a better one. My 6 years old could have done a much better job.

In essence, they forget that the things running WM6 are phones and therefore phone related activities must have the maximum priority, flexibility and power.

Let's put in here one of our main problems: We all use Exchange and therefore there are imposed security measures like locking the phone. No too much of a problem per se.

Now, our VoIP PBX allows us to perform what we call selective answering: when a call is transferred to our mobiles phones, the caller is identified and put on hold and we can hear his name. Then we can punch one key to accept the call, another to reject, another to playback a voice message and another to send the caller to voice mail.

Here is the nightmare: The call come in the WM6 device that someone forgot is a phone. Well in order to access the phone application, you have to unlock it first (after you have located it and have it in your hand, very nice process if you are driving). This implies a delay measurable in seconds. Then you get to the phone application, but there is no keypad so you need to click with your huge fingers on "Keypad" to finally be able to punch the desired key. This all takes time .. time that (1) the caller is waiting and (2) the VoIP PBX is waiting for user input. Most of the times, users can not get to their callers (and please do not tell me to increase the PBX waiting time).

The reasonable thing to do here is to accept the fact that this device is a phone. Therefore an incoming call MUST be passed straight through to the phone application with the keypad fully expanded. Any attempt to access ANY OTHER function of the phone will still require the device to be unlocked first, including obviously accessing contacts during a call. This behavior can be either a user-friendly option or a hack to the registry.

Another smart thing about the phone application is that if the "Keypad" is expanded, then there is no way to access your contacts from that screen. Who most likely you want to call when you are in phone mode? Some of your contacts, of course.

That is it ... for what is worth ...
This is affecting our 150+ Users of WM6 and I am sure we are not alone.

Any info will be highly appreciated.

Jason Dunn
03-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Post moved to the community talk forum because it's certainly not off topic. ;)

Regarding your question, I don't really understand it - when the phone is locked, and a call comes in, you have a one-button ACCEPT or REJECT function that works even if the phone was locked. You're describing something different - you're saying the user has to unlock the phone before accepting the call, and that's not been my experience with any Windows Mobile Professional or Standard phone. :confused:

TopDog
03-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Now, I've only had Qtek and HTC WM Phone Edition devices, but all of them have always switched automatically to the phone app when someone calls in.

And if you have locked your phone with the buildt in security passcode, you can always answer the phone with the green phone hardware button...

Now, our VoIP PBX allows us to perform what we call selective answering: when a call is transferred to our mobiles phones, the caller is identified and put on hold and we can hear his name. Then we can punch one key to accept the call, another to reject, another to playback a voice message and another to send the caller to voice mail.

This sounds like a very complicated system... what's wrong with Caller ID?

Some WM6 phones do have hardware keypads thought, like my brilliant HTC Touch Dual :)

And then there is always the point to make:

- WM6 Standard (previously called SmartPhone) is phone-centric devices.
- WM6 Professional (previously called PocketPC) is data-centric devices.

phermi
03-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Jason & TopDog,

Thanks for answering. But you did not understand the problem described: The user of the WM6, most HTC from T-mobile, needs access to the KEYPAD as soon as a call come in so he can puch his decision after taking the call with the BIG GREEN BUTTON.

For that to happen, the pone application must be able to do so even with the phone locked.

Caller ID does not work as the intention id for the caller to have the decision of what to do with the call after hearing who is calling. Caller ID does not work very well for international calls od VoIP trunks.

Jason Dunn
03-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for answering. But you did not understand the problem described: The user of the WM6, most HTC from T-mobile, needs access to the KEYPAD as soon as a call come in so he can puch his decision after taking the call with the BIG GREEN BUTTON.

Ah, yes, I see - I put my SIM into my Touch Dual and I saw what you meant - although I thought that my AT&T Tilt put up the keypad when you took the call.

<boots up="" at&t="" tilt,="" transfers="" sim="">[puts SIM in AT&T Tilt, boots it up]

Wow. You're right, the keypad doesn't come up at all. It must have been an older phone I was thinking of.

Looks like there's no solution for this, sorry - unless maybe you can hire a developer to create a custom app that would unlock the phone and bring up the SIP. Anything is possible....</boots>

phermi
03-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Jason,

That is an option indeed, the developer, but it is out of my league. You are talking about a custom app that will do the unlock and display the heypad .. when a call comes in?

Do you have a candidate for this?

Regarsds,
phermi

Jason Dunn
03-19-2008, 04:28 AM
You are talking about a custom app that will do the unlock and display the heypad .. when a call comes in? Do you have a candidate for this?

I have no one particular in mind, but I'm sure if you search e-Lance or another job market place you'll find some developers.

swain69
03-19-2008, 04:28 AM
That is an option indeed, the developer, but it is out of my league. You are talking about a custom app that will do the unlock and display the heypad .. when a call comes in?

Have a look/play with skschema. You could set it to watch for a particular event (phone call from a certain number) and run some actions (incl keypresses). It beats having to develop an full application :)