View Full Version : Status Update: We Made It!

Jason Dunn
03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
This is just a quick update for Pocket PC Thoughts readers: as you can tell, we've launched our new template, and we're now running on vBulletin. There's much that still needs to be done: we have to merge the users, so you won't see accurate post counts just yet. You'll notice elements from Digital Home Thoughts on the front page - the featured articles for instance, the featured items...the list goes. Today the team and I will be fixing bugs, polishing things up, and generally getting things in place (and I'll be doing some massive forum re-organization). We're also waiting for a Pocket PC Thoughts vBulletin template - right now we're just using the Thoughts Media template. Thanks for your patience!

Jerome Carney
03-17-2008, 06:27 PM
The redesign looks phenomenal. Big congrats ...

Brad Adrian
03-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Woo Hoo!!

Great looking site, Jason!!!

Looking forward to many new posts!!!!

stevew
03-17-2008, 10:15 PM
WOW looks awesome! Major improvement. WTG Thoughts team.

Pdaholic
03-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Nice job, fellas! Looks a little "busier" than before, but I'll get used to it. I like the longer list of articles and discussion on the right side. Thanks for continuing this great website.

Ed Hansberry
03-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Indeed. Looking good. :way to go:

(oops... see the custom smiley's aren't there yet. ;) )

Kacey Green
03-18-2008, 02:37 AM
the front page scrolls much faster! Loads faster too!

Twain
03-18-2008, 04:59 AM
Jason

The site looks really nice. Pity, that two thirds of my screen real estate is now blank. http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/images/icons/icon8.gif Such is the price of progress, I guess. So, when will the "no advertising" component be working? I'm surprised you don't implement an annual subscription for the privilege of not seeing any advertising. I would be happy to subscribe on that basis (across all of the Thoughts Media sites) if it came to that.

Twain

Darius Wey
03-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Yee-haw! vBulletin. :D

virain
03-18-2008, 06:26 AM
The site looks good! Too bad mobile version is not working :( I hope you will fix it soon

Theo
03-18-2008, 08:39 AM
New layout looks great - a swap over that's not mean feat I guess - congrats.

Are email blasts working yet? I've not see anything since pre-move. Have logged in ok, but can't see the old subscriber settings to check I'm set up OK.

If its something on the to-do list then no worries, thought I should check.

Cheers

Theo

yslee
03-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Congrats! Site's looking real good. Loads good too!

Snail
03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Oh yes! Much faster and really nice to look at. Well done everyone - well worth a weekend without a fix...

Kacey Green
03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
If its not too much to ask I'd like my profile from PPCT to be preffered over my TM profile when merging it back in. It has the better sig line, and my correct location and join date.

Janak Parekh
03-18-2008, 02:10 PM
New layout looks great - a swap over that's not mean feat I guess - congrats.

Are email blasts working yet? I've not see anything since pre-move. Have logged in ok, but can't see the old subscriber settings to check I'm set up OK. Give it a few days. Jason's got a huge list of stuff to plow through right now, and it wouldn't surprise me if reactivating this is not yet done. He's still busy merging the user accounts. ;)

--janak

Jason Dunn
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
The site looks really nice. Pity, that two thirds of my screen real estate is now blank.

Two thirds? That's quite a bit. Are you browsing full screen on 1920 x 1200 resolution? If so, there's unfortunately nothing we can do to help with that - I'm sure you've noticed that most major Web sites don't fill 1920 pixels wide.

So, when will the "no advertising" component be working?

Hopefully today, perhaps tomorrow - but I'm really pushing for today.

I'm surprised you don't implement an annual subscription for the privilege of not seeing any advertising. I would be happy to subscribe on that basis (across all of the Thoughts Media sites) if it came to that.

That's exactly what we have had on Pocket PC Thoughts over the pat several years - a monthly fee of $3 (billed yearly) to filter out ads and get many other benefits. We called it our "Subscription Service". We're just in the process of putting that back in place for subscribers now. The price may change a bit now that it will be across all the sites, but I have to evaluate that. Worst case scenario is that it goes up to $4/month, but I'm going to do the math and see how it works out.

Jason Dunn
03-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Too bad mobile version is not working :( I hope you will fix it soon

Yes, we're aiming for today for the mobile version.

Jason Dunn
03-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Are email blasts working yet? I've not see anything since pre-move. Have logged in ok, but can't see the old subscriber settings to check I'm set up OK.

Yup, working on it - hopefully today, perhaps tomorrow, but email blasts and ad filtering are the two subscriber features we put priority on.

Jason Dunn
03-18-2008, 02:45 PM
If its not too much to ask I'd like my profile from PPCT to be preffered over my TM profile when merging it back in. It has the better sig line, and my correct location and join date.

I'm sure you understand that we can't migrate every user by hand - we wrote a script, and the script does what it does - which is merge PPCT data into the TM profile, with the TM profile taking priority. Sigs and location are easy to change. Join date...that's tricky. I've asked Fabrizio to see if we can modify the script to use the join date from PPCT, but no guarantees.

wocket
03-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Great new layout and look.

i'm posting via a wii and it's not easy!

Jason Dunn
03-18-2008, 06:48 PM
i'm posting via a wii and it's not easy!

Haha...wow. You're a sucker for punishment! :D

Steven Cedrone
03-20-2008, 04:32 PM
It really looks awesome!!! :)

Darius Wey
03-21-2008, 06:05 AM
It really looks awesome!!! :)

Well, it just wasn't the same without your beanie, but I see that's been resolved. :D

Eitel
03-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Site looks great!!

Now, I know is still been worked on, but is the software discount page for PPCT subscribers still available? I need to buy some software today. ;)

Darius Wey
03-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Now, I know is still been worked on, but is the software discount page for PPCT subscribers still available? I need to buy some software today. ;)

It's not publicly available, but will be once we fully implement subscription services again.

However, if you want to buy software today, send me an e-mail (darius [at] pocketpcthoughts [dot] com) with the discount you're after and I'll get back to you ASAP. :)

Mon1018
03-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Woo Hoo!!
Great looking site, Jason!!!Awesome !!

Mon1018
03-28-2008, 05:17 AM
The site looks good! Too bad mobile version is not working :( I hope you will fix it soon

But it was working for me.

Janak Parekh
03-28-2008, 02:11 PM
But it was working for me. It was fixed between virain's post and yours. ;) (That said, it's still read-only for now.)

--janak