View Full Version : Mogul Gets an EVDO Rev A Update

Jon Westfall
03-12-2008, 05:07 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=75&act=sd' target='_blank'>http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.as...?p_id=75&act=sd</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sprint and HTC will later today formally issue the third firmware update for the HTC Mogul (PPC-6800). The Mogul update enables both GPS navigation and EV-DO Rev A service. Contrary to incorrect reports from other members of the media, the update does indeed include GPS (gpsOne), and Sprint Navigation. This was confirmed to us directly minutes ago by Sprint."</i><br /><br />If you're on Sprint, you have a few Windows Mobile options (The stylish Touch, the Mogul, and a Windows Mobile Treo all come to mind). For those of you that are of the Mogul persuasion, a ROM update is now available that should open up GPS navigation and EVDO Rev A service. Don't be concerned if the download takes forever though - apparently HTC Servers are being a bit taxed!

code-frog
03-12-2008, 05:28 AM
Is there a backup program that will let me backup my programs and stuff so that I don't have to reinstall after the update? Or with WM6 is that even a concern anymore? Once upon a time I heard that WM6 would fix that problem but being a skeptic I'm really doubting that. So what's my best approach to this? I already own SPB Backup? Does it have the right stuff?

JonnoB
03-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Is there a backup program that will let me backup my programs and stuff so that I don't have to reinstall after the update? Or with WM6 is that even a concern anymore? Once upon a time I heard that WM6 would fix that problem but being a skeptic I'm really doubting that. So what's my best approach to this? I already own SPB Backup? Does it have the right stuff?

I find backups problematic when doing a ROM update, especially those apps that make changes or additions to the OS. It is best to backup your data (My Documents, etc) and backup application settings. A ROM update will typically wipe your device as if new. Then reinstall your apps, import your settings and add back your important files.

Even without flashing a ROM update, I do this as standard practice every few months and find that I get a speed boost.

jpaq
03-13-2008, 10:03 PM
So, I installed this morning and there are several improvements.
- Rev A EVDO SCREAMS!
- There used to be a delay with the dialer, but that seems to be much better.
- Overall quicker performance.
- There is a voicemail icon on the number 1 on the dialer. It may have been therebefore, but it seems more prominent now.
- The HTC Task Manager that I originally saw on the Touch is installed in ROM.
- haven't used the GPS much yet but I can confirm it is there. Which type? I'm thinking the cell tower based version, but cannot confirm yet.

Will report more later.

jpaq

wseto
03-14-2008, 02:29 AM
So, I installed this morning and there are several improvements.
- Rev A EVDO SCREAMS!
- haven't used the GPS much yet but I can confirm it is there. Which type? I'm thinking the cell tower based version, but cannot confirm yet.
jpaq
My experiences are that I've noticed no noticeable increase in data transmission speeds.
The GPS is AGPS, it's supposed to query the cell towers to get a rough initial fix then uses the GPS satellite signals to locate like any other GPS. So cold start fix times are faster than with my bluetooth GPS.
One major bug they fixed is that now appointment alarms can sound when the phone is in "suspend" mode.
I've had three complete freezes which required a reset, one while running the GPS and doing a heavy duty EVDO transfer. And twice while transferring EVDO and using the WMP to play mp3's. I've not had many hard freezes with the previous ROM version.

Definitely the Rom's a keeper just for the GPS activation. The negative part is that most GPS programs don't activate the GPS properly yet, so another program needs to be run to start it up. Also with the GPS on, the battery drain is significant.

jpaq
03-14-2008, 04:51 AM
I did have a couple of quirky issues when trying to open an E-Mail the system went to the Today screen. A reset seemed to help that.

I've also had a couple of system errors. They seem to have been related to Yahoo Go 2.0. I do have to say that I started getting those here and there before the update.

Another improvement seems to be call quality and call volume. Both seem improved.