View Full Version : h4150 Back-up Battery Problem ?

laura_eva
03-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Ever since I've had my IPAQ h4150 (bought from a friend as a 9 month old machine) the back up (NMH) battery "bar" has always shown empty ! Could this just be a software bug ?

I've never swapped the main Li-ion battery, and am scared that if I do I'll lose all my applications .... I've had "shocks" where the main battery got so low that the device wouldn't switch on .... but plugging in the charger soon got things working.

If I do a full back up onto SD will this enable me to restore everything .... programs and data .... should removing the battery as a "trial" really kill power ?

(.... and incidentally could I back up onto SD card, put the SD into another similar "hard reset" IPAQ and use the "restore" to mirror all the applications on the other machine ????)

Oh, and finally .... are those back-up power packs (4 x AA - potentially 8000 mAh !) really safe to use ?

Forgive me if my questions seem "basic" :-) but can anyone help ?

Laura

Nurhisham Hussein
03-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Ever since I've had my IPAQ h4150 (bought from a friend as a 9 month old machine) the back up (NMH) battery "bar" has always shown empty ! Could this just be a software bug ?

If it wasn't dead when you bought it, it surely is by now - NiMH batteries don't have a very long lifespan.

If I do a full back up onto SD will this enable me to restore everything .... programs and data .... should removing the battery as a "trial" really kill power ?

Unfortunately yes - but you can do a restore in fairly short order.

(.... and incidentally could I back up onto SD card, put the SD into another similar "hard reset" IPAQ and use the "restore" to mirror all the applications on the other machine ????)

Only if it's the same model - I wouldn't recommend trying that on a different model, as device drivers and corresponding registry entries are typically different.

Oh, and finally .... are those back-up power packs (4 x AA - potentially 8000 mAh !) really safe to use ?

Only if it's properly constructed.