View Full Version : Simple tutorial for establishing wi-fi connection between ppc and winxp

ioannis66
02-19-2008, 11:18 PM
I have done it in the past, but for the last 2 weeks i am trying again, but no luck this time.

I have:
- HTC P4350 with Windows Mobile 6.0
- Windows XP
- Siemens wired ADSL modem
- Linksys wireleess-g usb network adapter

I need a simple tutorial, just 1 simple page with the settings that i should make on the ppc and in Win XP.

Whenever i try to do some connection with my ppc and my pc, i lose my real dsl connnection from the modem. By that, i just mean that running Internet Explorer in my pc, does not load any web page. I have to restore my system in order to load web pages.

Another thing i read somewhere. The IP of my ppc becomes 168.x.x.x and not 192.x.x.x I read that this means the connection with the wireless adapter is not correct.

I just want to see my pc files, from the HTC.
I am not asking for something big, just one page simple tutorial with the settings i should make.

MANY THANKS for your work, keep going, hope to hear from soomeone real soon,
a desperate user,
Ioannis

Nurhisham Hussein
02-20-2008, 05:23 AM
I'm not sure I understand your network setup - you list your PC (with wi-fi dongle), and a wired modem. I'm assuming your modem is connected to a wireless router of some kind? That's the first place I'd start. There have been issues between WM devices and certain models of wireless routers, or the problem could be something simpler like MAC filtering or AP broadcasting.

Or are you trying to do an ad-hoc connection between your PC and PDA? For the latter, getting a 168 or 169 IP address is actually what's supposed to happen. You'll only get a 192 address when connecting to a router. On the other hand, ad-hoc connections in my experience can be very fickle.

ioannis66
02-20-2008, 05:49 PM
First of all, thanks for your answer.
About my problem now. I know it HAS a solution, because i did it a few months ago.
Now i am stack with my head hitting the wall...

Anyway, here it is:
My pc connects to Internet through a wired ADSL modem (with the LAN port).
I have also bought a wireless adapter from Linksys, which i connect it through the USB port, to my pc.
From my wi-fi ppc, i want to view my shared files on win xp, with the help of the wireless adapter. I also want my ppc to recognize my internet connection from my pc (using Internet Connection Sharing), and access web pages.

Any simple tutorial would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks AGAIN.

Cybrid
02-20-2008, 09:31 PM
About my problem now. I know it HAS a solution, because i did it a few months ago.

Anyway, here it is:
I have also bought a wireless adapter from Linksys, which i connect it through the USB port, to my pc.
From my wi-fi ppc, i want to view my shared files on win xp, with the help of the wireless adapter. I also want my ppc to recognize my internet connection from my pc (using Internet Connection Sharing), and access web pages.

Thanks AGAIN.
Simple tutorial?

Go into network connections
Find the two connection icons e.g. xx LAN connection and xy WLAN connection
Drag and drop xy WLAN into xx LAN
Dialog resembling "...bridge...connection..." click yes
Follow prompts, through restarts, etc.
PC will act as router. PPC will connect without issue.
Apply encryption. A MUST!
Create shared folder to access data on PC
Get a good nights rest.

For more info: google bridging connections in XP

ioannis66
02-20-2008, 09:43 PM

Anyway, here it is:

Thanks AGAIN.
Simple tutorial?

Go into network connections
Find the two connection icons e.g. xx LAN connection and xy WLAN connection
Drag and drop xy WLAN into xx LAN
Dialog resembling "...bridge...connection..." click yes
Follow prompts, through restarts, etc.
PC will act as router. PPC will connect without issue.
Apply encryption. A MUST!
Create shared folder to access data on PC
Get a good nights rest.

For more info: google bridging connections in XP

I have already done EXACTLY what you say, and here is what i get.
1. "associated to network" is on Advanced Wireless LAN settings on ppc
2. if i run ppc Explorer and go to Open-->Path-->\\COMPUTERNAME\SHAREDFOLDER\ i get "the network path was not found"
3. I lose my win xp internet connection. I don't understand that. Is it because i made a bridge with the LAN adapter and the wireless adapter?
When i say i lose internet connection, i mean i can NOT load ANY web page.
The only way to do that, is to run first System Restore and select a previously restored point in win xp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Nurhisham Hussein
02-21-2008, 05:37 AM
Any suggestions?

FWIW, I tried doing an ad-hoc connection yesterday with my laptop as well as my work computer - no go with either. I do have a suggestion, though you may not like it - get a proper wifi router and wire that up with your modem. A router provides a much more stable connection, and is easier to diagnose when problems crop up. Also, this way you don't have to mess with the settings on your PC.

Cybrid
03-14-2008, 10:26 PM
As Nurhisham said, a router would be easiest. After your previous post I was going to test using my laptop and a PPC but haven't been able to devote the time to it.