View Full Version : Geez, what did I hose up now?

schmenge
02-16-2008, 05:44 PM
8125 (HTC Wizard) running HTC ROM. At work I sync wirelessly and at home via ActiveSync. I also have AS on my work laptop both for moving files and for a second work PPC that needs AS. My 8125 does NOT have partnership on my work laptop. A couple of days ago I plugged the USB cable into my 8125 and AS automatically started the install of a cab file meant for the other device. I canceled this out on the laptop. I do not recall what, if anything took place on the 8125 but the net result is this:

Whether at home or at work, AS will get started and then pretty quickly give me the error dialog about not being able to connect, etc. etc. I am connected in that I can open an Explorer windows and browse the 8125, move files and so forth. I can no longer install new programs. Whether by cab file or .exe I get the message (pretty quickly) on the 8125 that the installation failed.

I had planned on biting the bullet and doing a hard reset this weekend but sometime late Friday an issue developed on the servers I sync with for work (mNotes is what I use) so I cannot do one last sync and even if I was willing lose whatever I had between syncs, I'd have no PIM data until they resolve that on Monday (Yes, it is on my Home PC, but I need to pull the data in from work first or I cause myself all kinds of other headaches).

So.......... any idea I what I hosed up with AS and if I can fix this short of a reset? I looked for temp files, run MemMaid, SK Tools and such, but no help.

Cybrid
02-17-2008, 10:05 AM
While I don't know what is wrong...I'd suggest quite strongly on investing in a backup software like Sprite or SPB to reduce the problem in the future.
I'm assuming that all the obvious steps like a soft reset and .cab installation from a memory card (transferred via card reader) have been tried?

schmenge
02-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Yep, tried all of those things. I do have Sprite and do full backups every night. The couple of times I have done full recoveries either Outlook or mNotes, and I suspect mNotes does something as I eventually end up with tons of duplicates in my calendar. So I tend to use the backups more for individual files or in case of emergency, which this really isn't. I've done some searching it and does seem like a reset is the only cure, which I am about due for anyway. If I could connect to those darn servers I'd be done already. :(

Cybrid
02-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Yep, tried all of those things. I do have Sprite and do full backups every night. The couple of times I have done full recoveries either Outlook or mNotes, and I suspect mNotes does something as I eventually end up with tons of duplicates in my calendar. So I tend to use the backups more for individual files or in case of emergency, which this really isn't. I've done some searching it and does seem like a reset is the only cure, which I am about due for anyway. If I could connect to those darn servers I'd be done already. :(The duplicates are a AS/ Outlook Quirk. For that try Outlook Duplicates Remover.
Personally, IMO, I'd backup as is...with problem and annotate it.
Then backup just the PIM, personal stuff.
Hard Reset and restore from the partial Sprite backup.
Sync if needed, and rebuild from my set of cabs.
or
I'd use the backup previous to the problem then sync,restore from partial PIM
backup & be done.

For rebuilds;
If there is a list of apps you consider "must have".
Install and tweak them all. Once ready. Back them up.
Hard reset time? no problem. A quick restore and you've rebuilt.