View Full Version : free ebook download of debut novel www.greyareas.co.uk

david_durbs
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi everyone, my name is David Durbin and I have just launched a website to promote my debut novel, Grey Areas. I wrote the book over a period of two years and am in the process of attempting to get a literary agent. To aid me in generating publicity for the book I have created my own website, www.greyareas.co.uk where people can download an eight chapter trial copy of the book in PDF format. If you are interested in thriller/action novels, please download the trial and let me know what you think!

Thanks for your time,

David Durbin

Jorgen
02-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Good luck! However, two comments:

1. How much is the book? I did a reasonable scan of your site but couldn't easily see it. I don't want to waste time on the book if it costs a fortune.

2. PDF is not easily read on a PDA and I for one never download PDF trails as I am not going to read them. I would suggest "Palm Doc format" or LIT format as we all can read those.

Jorgen

hamishmacdonald
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Mobipocket have an excellent (and free -- adding to the excellence :wink:) e-book creation program called Mobipocket Creator. It generates .PRC files that can be read in their freeware reader, and can make them from PDFs, DOC files, Web pages, you name it.

http://www.mobipocket.com

They also have a store for e-books, but I haven't bothered with that. I just give my e-books away from my site (hamishmacdonald.com), from ManyBooks.net (whose designer can whip your book into every conceivable electronic form known to man using the scripts he's created), and on Memoware.com.

My second novel has been downloaded 2,306 times from Memoware, but I've never heard from a single person about it, so I'm not sure what the business model is for e-books or whether it relates to any real sales. Someone I knew a while back said publicly that his free e-books drive sales of his physical books, but then, he's won the Hugo award more times than I've had pizza, so it's different for him.

I figure I've got a day-job, so my aim in publishing is to find my audience of readers, not to concentrate on bagging income. But if the teaser PDF thing works for you, more power to you.

david_durbs
02-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Thank you to both of your for your replies, I shall certainly take your points on board and perhaps make some changes or additions to the way I've started promoting this book.

Both of your posts were exactly what I was looking for from this site, thank you very much for your thoughts.

David