View Full Version : Opera Mobile 9.5 Coming Soon

Nurhisham Hussein
02-06-2008, 04:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2008/02/05/' target='_blank'>http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2008/02/05/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Built on Opera's unique core architecture, the Opera Mobile 9.5 desktop-like browsing experience has been enhanced with innovations such as zooming and panning that make it easier to navigate, load pages quicker and get users closer to the Web content and entertainment they want. With Opera Mobile 9.5, users can experience the real Web and interact with content exactly as they do on their PC."</i><br /><br /><object width="420" height="253"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x49rb9"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x49rb9" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="253" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><br />I didn't even know we'd gotten pass 9.0 yet!! In any case, Opera's promising a lot with this release, and yes, there's more than a few shades of the iPhone's Safari browser in this new release. It looks pretty good in the video, but time (and beta-testing) will tell - at least, the <i>browser</i> looks good in the video, I'm not so sure about the marketing approach. The new browser will showcased at the Mobile World Congress 2008 next week, with a public beta to be announced shortly.

frankenbike
02-06-2008, 06:06 AM
It looks good. I wish it looked a little more finger friendly. I almost never use my stylus, and I would have liked to take their stylus away to see how well it worked for them.

Still, that's more like what I was looking for when I was on my last browser hunt, and I just decided to go with SPB's enhanced PIE because there was more bang for the buck, including accelerated finger scrolling (Opera's was 1:1, very annoying on some big forum style pages).

The stylus thing wouldn't stop me though.

The other thing is video support. PIE at least has common plugin's for web video that work with TCPMP, and I don't recall anything like that for Opera. I also hate when anything is put in terms of "productivity". I've got a WM phone for fun and information, and I like to use it for the same thing I use my home desktop machine for. The mere mention of the word "productivity" is on a par with the word "enterprise" or "business" as the polar opposite of "fun" for me.

Why is the software and hardware side of the Windows Mobile world so dead set against making anything "fun", and promoting the idea of using a "fun" device for business. I see a strong undercurrent of intent to use iPhones in business with that very sentiment.

--
FB

JKingGrim
02-06-2008, 06:07 AM
I heard someone say that the public beta will be released on the 11th, but they did not cite a source. I have no idea where that info comes from. I hope this is a free or cheap update for 8.65 users. Looks tasty.

Menneisyys
02-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Still, that's more like what I was looking for when I was on my last browser hunt, and I just decided to go with SPB's enhanced PIE because there was more bang for the buck, including accelerated finger scrolling (Opera's was 1:1, very annoying on some big forum style pages).

I'll mention exactly this stuff to the Opera folks at Barcelona. I'll also ask the developer of the original TCPMP plug-in whether it's possible to release a version for OpMob (and, for that matter, Netfront and all the other, alternate browsers - too bad Opera Mini surely doesn't support this).

BTW, still speaking of PIE vs. OpMob, I think the latter is vastly superior to the former in most respects (standards compliance, features, page loading speed (!) etc.) even as of version 8.65 (I don't think 9.5 would be worse), particularly if you use its hardware button shortcuts (the latter requires some manual tweaking if you have a Pocket PC and not an MS Smartphone. I've written a complete tutorial on this question.)

The other thing is video support. PIE at least has common plugin's for web video that work with TCPMP, and I don't recall anything like that for Opera. I also hate when anything is put in terms of "productivity". I've got a WM phone for fun and information, and I like to use it for the same thing I use my home desktop machine for. The mere mention of the word "productivity" is on a par with the word "enterprise" or "business" as the polar opposite of "fun" for me.

Why is the software and hardware side of the Windows Mobile world so dead set against making anything "fun", and promoting the idea of using a "fun" device for business.

Because the WinMo platform is more business-oriented than, say, Nokia's N-series, particularly now that, at last, N-Gage First Access goes live (http://www.allaboutngage.com/news/item/6664_N-Gage_First_Access_goes_live.php). Unfortunately, I should add. Remember the latest HTC &amp; Qualcomm video driver fiasco?

This is certainly very bad news because you'll need to have an N-series Nokia to play games / listen to music / watch videos because, if HTC doesn't release the optimized drivers, their current (and forthcoming), their Qualcomm-based phones will be practically useless for "fun" usage.

Menneisyys
02-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I didn't even know we'd gotten pass 9.0 yet!!

It's pretty much understandable: their desktop browser is at 9.50 with all the great goodies &amp; enhancements (as opposed to 9.22) like favorite autosynchronization (a god-send for Opera Mini users). This is why they want to express it uses the same 9.50 core and similar (albeit, I'm afraid, not so many) features than 9.50 on the desktop.

ianbennett
02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know what Opera's upgrade policy is? I can't see anything on their site about it.

I currently have the trial version of Opera Mobile 8.65 on my device (8 days left) and I am really liking it compared to PIE. I was going to buy it, but unless I am going to get a free upgrade to 9.5, I think I will just wait. :?

Menneisyys
02-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I had the pleasure to play with the browser yesterday evening in the MWC Showstoppers evening. Was very pleased with what I saw. IŽll post some shots on my blog of the new browser, demoing all the new features, later today.