View Full Version : All Day Appointments and/or Daylight Savings Time

pmgibson
02-05-2008, 07:13 AM
I ran accross something "interesting" (frustratingly so) today that I'm wondering if anyone can help me with.

Due to a problem with a calendar item not syncing at all from my work Exchange Server to my PDA, I ended up deselecting the sync option for calender in both MS Exchange and my personal PC, cleaning out my calendar on Exchange and resyncing to the PDA then resyncing to my personal PC.

My system is this:

1 work Exchange account (MS2007 Exchange Server with Outlook 2003 frontend)

1 PDA (AT&T Tilt, WM6)

1 personal PC (Outlook 2007, pst file converted from Outlook 2003)

I cleaned out most of my calendar (went from 800 or so entries to 187). What was left was mostly appointments for this month (Feb.) and birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays.

I then re-enabled calendar sync on Exchange and synced to the PDA.

When I got home, I deleted all calendar items from the home PC. Then re-enabled sync for the home PC profile and synced from the PDA.

Then I noticed that all the appointments between the start of DST this year and the end of DST this year were one hour ahead (they "sprang" forward so to speak).

Since the only appointments in that timeframe were all day appointments I thought it was a problem with DST and all day appointments.

Further testing showed the following:

creating an all-day appointment on either the work PC or personal PC would be correct on which ever PC it was created on and ahead by one hour on the other PC after sync.

creating a regular appointment (say an hour long) on either the work PC or personal PC would be correct on both PC's after sync

creating either a regular appointment or an all-day appointment on the PDA would be an hour ahead on BOTH PC's after sync.

So, I'm frustrated and somewhat bemused over this. It's just too weird.

I should also say that the DST patches that MS issued last year have been applied on both PC's and the PDA.

And, I've checked the timezone on both PC's and the PDA and they are both set to Eastern time. The option to adjust for DST is checked on both PC's. I could not find that option on the PDA (not in clock and not in regional settings).

The only question I can think of is: Is there something that should be installed on Exchange Server as opposed to my work PC and work Outlook? We recently upgraded and I'm wondering if they just forgot about DST?

Appreciate any help or insight anyone has. I'm not sure what I'm going to do otherwise. I could probably live with holidays and b-days that are off by an hour, and most of my appointments are created on one PC or the other.

But, occasionally I do create an appointment on the PDA and having it sync off an hour to the PC's is a problem.

PetiteFlower
02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
I suspect that once DST actually starts, these appointments will be correct again.

pmgibson
02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I suspect that once DST actually starts, these appointments will be correct again.

Thank you, but they really should be correct all the time. Why should we have to mentally adjust until DST starts? It did not work that way until the changes last year, and it should not work that way now.

I appreciate the comment, but I don't really accept settling for problems of this magnitude.