View Full Version : I received my iPAQ Enterprise 210 yesterday

hoffman
01-30-2008, 11:38 PM
:(
I received my iPAQ 210 or the 214 as it is known in Europe yesterday.
I was pleased with the general appearance and the processor speed but when I looked in the internal memory I found that the total memory is only 187 MBs not the 256 MBs that is written on the box or that is actually written in the HP Asset Viewer.
The 187 is composed of 162 MBs internal memory plus 24.90MBs iPAQ file store that I did not even see in the specifications for this device.
I also looked in the HP Asset viewer and the screen resoluton is 65553 instead of the 248000 which is written in the specification of this device.

I rang up HPs aftersales and they said they can replace it or give me a refund but recommdened I spoke to their technical department. I was then given many wrong extensions and after half an hour I ended up with a guy in India where their support team is situated.

I spoke to him for 10 minutes and after explaining the model, make and the part number and also the complete story he informs me that the iPAQ Enterprise 210 is a discontinued product and HP cannot give support on discontinued products.
I informed him that the Enterprise 210 has only been on the market this week and it is HPs latest Pocket PC he says maybe I should forward you to one of my colleagues. I waited 10 minutes on the phone and rang up.

I rang HP aftersales again and explained my experience with their technical support and they advised me to ask for a refund. I said I will think about it for a day and if I do not find out anything new I will get a refund.They informed me I have 7 days to decide.
I did also explain the I have the pre mass production serial number on my iPAQ Enterprise which is FB043AT and the mass production serial number will be FB043AA which HP sales had informed me before I received the product. I told aftersales that they may have the specification wrong on the limited production issue or it is just a product fault.

I have had 3 iPAQs before and on all the others the internal memory maximum is always in the memory section even though some of the memory may have already been used by preinstalled programs the maximum is still shown.

The maximum memory that is displayed on my Enterprise is only 187MBs not the 256MBs that is in the specifications of this product and 69 MBs short of the 256MBs. The screen resolution is indicated as 65K instead of 248K although it looks more than that but I have never had 248K device before so I cannot compare.

I get the feeling that HP have lacked on their quality control in order to get this product out as quick as possible after the initial delay of this product.
I would be grateful for other users comments before I decide to return this product to HP and ask for a refund.

Regards
Brian

Jason Dunn
01-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi there Brian. The 256 MB of ROM is where the whole OS is stored - no Pocket PC on the market ever has all of the ROM available for user storage...so what you're seeing is perfectly normal. Ideally HP would explain this somewhere (like "256 MB ROM, 187 MB User Accessible") but this isn't unusual.

If you check out my video review of the iPAQ 100 that I just posted on the front page, it took has 256 MB of ROM and 195 MB is what's free for the user.

So basically, I wouldn't let this bother you because Flash memory is ridiculously cheap. ;-)

Cybrid
02-01-2008, 03:18 AM
[quote="hoffmanI also looked in the HP Asset viewer and the screen resoluton is 65553 instead of the 248000 which is written in the specification of this device.
The screen resolution is indicated as 65K instead of 248K although it looks more than that but I have never had 248K device before so I cannot compare.[/quote] Yeah...About that...
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/09/07/462187.aspx
It seems that 18bit color is isn't all its cracked up to be and probably while the screen is 18bit capable... it is either giving you 16bit (indicated by the 65,553) or downgrading 24bit (I can't confirm or deny).

KH
02-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I am curious about the power arrangement. Is it the same as most of the other IPAQs with a separate dongle that connects the power supply to the device?

hoffman
02-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I am curious about the power arrangement. Is it the same as most of the other IPAQs with a separate dongle that connects the power supply to the device?
Hi
This device has a dongle that will attach to the power plug or a USB cable to sync.The dongle is a little larger than the normal iPAQ dongles which were compatible with different iPAQs. There is also an option of a mini USB connection which one has to purchase seperately.
I do know at the moment if it is possible to sync and charge with the mini USB.
The question I asked earlier about the screen being only 65K instead of 260K well I have heard reports from other guys on the net who have received their 210s that this is the case.The 210 is either 65K colour depth or the script in the Asset Viewer was by error printed with the wrong figure when the device was developed. The screen does look fantastic though and the colours are nice and the resolution is great.
The device is fast and cosmetically it is probably the most attractive looking iPAQ to date.
I am a slim guy with smallish hands and the device does feel small to handle and sits well in the hand although it is a large pocket PC in comparison to the average pocket PC
Regards Brian

disconnected
02-02-2008, 06:19 PM

This device has a dongle that will attach to the power plug or a USB cable to sync.The dongle is a little larger than the normal iPAQ dongles which were compatible with different iPAQs. There is also an option of a mini USB connection which one has to purchase seperately.
I do know at the moment if it is possible to sync and charge with the mini USB.

One thing I really liked about the original iPAQs was that you could easily use them while they were plugged in and recharging. It's been really awkward since they added that ugly, cumbersome, two inch long dongle. I'm sorry to hear they've made it even worse. :(