View Full Version : Google Fixes GMail IMAP Problem On Windows Mobile Devices

Ed Hansberry
01-30-2008, 06:00 PM
<a href="http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/29/Google-fixes-Gmail-IMAP-problem-on-Windows-Mobile_1.html">http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/29/Google-fixes-Gmail-IMAP-problem-on-Windows-Mobile_1.html</a><br /><br /><i>"Google said it has fixed a problem that was causing Windows Mobile phone users to receive blank Gmail messages. In October, Google began supporting IMAP for Gmail. That means messages that mobile users send or receive from their phones are synced with their Gmail accounts, appearing the next time users access their accounts from a computer. But shortly after the announcement, Windows Mobile users began complaining in online forums about problems. In some cases, Windows Mobile users said that HTML e-mail messages showed up blank on their phones. Others said that while they could read message headers, all messages appeared blank."</i><br /><br />If you use GMail on your device via IMAP, you don't need to do anything. The fix should happen on the server side, allowing you to see your messages.

paschott
01-30-2008, 06:41 PM
You beat me to it, Ed. I saw that today as well and tried it out. Now that GMail IMAP finally works, I'll start using it again. I think the last time I tried was December and I just gave up because I get so many messages in HTML format that it was unusable.

I'm sure there are some pretty happy WM/IMAP/GMail users right now. I hope the forums reflect that over @ Gmail. :)

-Pete

Jason Lee
01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Great news!!!

alese
01-30-2008, 09:57 PM
I certainly am a happy IMAP/Gmail/WM user.
Before the fix the default mail application was just not usable with Gmail and I used Flex mail, but Flex mail is just too slow and resource hugry.
Now, I can finally use my mail accounts in one application...

T-Will
01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Whoo hoo! I always thought it was just a problem with my Dash (software conflict or something).

lanwarrior
01-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Does anyone know why creating an IMAP account in Outlook 2007 also create ANOTHER PERSONAL FOLDER?

I have multiple Gmail accounts and with POP setting, all emails are coming to the same Inbox folder and Outlook Rules will move the email to its own folder. Thus, I can manage all emails using just one Personal Folder.

But now I have 2 Personal Folders:
- Default Personal Folder (POP)
- [email protected] Folder (IMAP)

Jason Lee
01-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Does anyone know why creating an IMAP account in Outlook 2007 also create ANOTHER PERSONAL FOLDER?

I have multiple Gmail accounts and with POP setting, all emails are coming to the same Inbox folder and Outlook Rules will move the email to its own folder. Thus, I can manage all emails using just one Personal Folder.

But now I have 2 Personal Folders:
- Default Personal Folder (POP)
- [email protected] Folder (IMAP)

That is how imap works.. The mail in there is actually still on the server only displayed on your computer. It has it's own folder structure and cannot be shoved into your current inbox. Sounds like you want POP not IMAP.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-31-2008, 07:15 PM
This was the only thing keeping my Dash in the drawer. Once this got fixed, I started using my Dash again. THANK YOU GOOGLE. :beer:

jalex
02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
When Google rolled out IMAP, that was the final nail in the coffin for my Outlook. I now run pure Thunderbird and sync my TyTN II's calendar with it's Lightning extension via BirdieSync.

I was only suffering the issue in question with HTML emails too and installed the GMail midlet so I could read those emails. Glad I won't have to resort to it any more as I like using just the standard mail app for all my mail.

Mark Larson
02-03-2008, 08:41 AM
This is the first time I'm actually using Gmail on my device and I'm very happy. I remember back in 2003/2004 when Google announced POP3 support for Gmail, I happily enabled it, but it never worked right - whether it was my phone, the POP3 protocol, or T-Mobile's proxy settings.

Now it works perfectly, allowing me to get all my Gmail mail on my phone, not duplicating Sent mail in my inbox, and syncing regularly even if it is not push.