View Full Version : TyTN II - Would you recommend it?

graceless
01-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Guys,

I think I want to get a TyTNII, but i'm still somewhat reserved based purely on it's size.

Those that have it or have used it, Would you recommend it and if so why?

hamishmacdonald
01-29-2008, 01:38 PM
I had a TyTN II but ultimately replaced it with a Touch Cruise because of the size. I do miss the keyboard; you quickly get used to being able to punch in exactly what you want without faffing about with XT9 (predictive text) or pecking at the on-screen keyboard. Also, I found the keyboard wanted to slide open in my hand when I pulled the TyTN II from my pocket, simply because of the device's weight and where the slider fit in my hand.

I really appreciate the slim form factor of the Touch Cruise, and I have a Bluetooth keyboard if I'm entering significant amounts of text. So I'm happy with my decision. But if you're entering a lot of text on the go, then I'd readily recommend the TyTN II. (It was fun being able to have proper conversations over Messenger on the train, for instance, instead of pecking out "Can't... chat... on mobile".)

graceless
01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for your reply - i really appreciate the insight.

Unfortunately, the Touch Cruise isn't available here yet (Australia) and although I think it's coming out before the end of Feb, I will be seeking replacement for my current O2 Atom before then.

I am, however, very inclined to go for the HTC Touch purely based on size. The only time I input text much is for sms, so I can live with stylus input and the only other "heavy usage" programs I use are Pocket Player and TomTom (I have a bluetooth receiver).

Do you think the Touch will fullfil my needs?

hamishmacdonald
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I did own a Touch (yeah, I've gone through these things like popcorn while trying to figure out which one was right for me). It's beautifully designed and works really well, but I found that the half-sized memory and processor speed made it impractical for my needs. (I use the thing as a computer more than as a mobile phone, and I write on it using TextMaker, which is a great but memory-intensive program.)

That said, I know the US version of the Touch had twice the memory and processing power of the one offered in the UK. So I guess it depends what your needs are and which model is being offered in Australia.

mcha
01-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi - I went for the HTC TyTn II just before Xmas, after weighing up the pro's & con's for quite a while. For me, it boiled down to wanting a really small form-factor, ideally with a keyboard, that did just about everything [wifi, bluetooth, GPS etc].

I would have liked VGA, & would have gone for the Eten M800, but for the adverse comments concerning the lack of RAM.

I do not regret my decision at all - It is a very small device, & I was concerned about the lack of screen size [I had a VGA Loox 720 previously], but I find it's great for just about everything I wanted it for - ebooks, music, photos, phone, satnav etc. It's dropped the odd call, & I don't thrash it with games & movies, although both perform well when required.

I would definitely recommend the device - it's been brilliant for me.

Go get one - they're great!

Brad Adrian
02-03-2008, 12:07 AM
I had been using an Cing/AT&T 8125 for 18 months before getting the Tilt in December. It's definitely felt like a great upgrade and I'm very happy with my choice. My favorite features are:

*MUCH more memory
*Great keyboard for all the texting I do with my kids
*Much thinner than the 8125
*Plenty of hardware buttons for quick access to applications
*Speedy operation
*Very strong reception

I had also begun to access my corporate e-mail with my Pocket PC and for me the combination of the Tilt and WM6 has worked wonderfully. [/u]