View Full Version : FictionWise Acquires eReader.com

Ed Hansberry
01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
<a href="http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2008/01/11/fictionwise-acquires-ebook-unit-motricity">http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2008/01/11/fictionwise-acquires-ebook-unit-motricity</a><br /><br /><i>"Fictionwise, an independent eBook retailer, announced this week that it has acquired the eReader.com eBook retail business unit of mobile content distributor Motricity. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed. Motricity's eReader.com offers over 23,000 eBook titles. "</i><br /><br />I've been an eReader.com customer since they were PeanutPress back in the late 90's. They were then sold to Palm, then to Motoricity, who has now sold them to FictionWise. I am hopeful that much of FictionWise's content will be converted to the eReader.com Pro platform. I have never personally cared for the MobiPocket format FictionWise supports, but time will tell.<br /><br />Overall though, this is probably a good deal for ebook fans as FictionWise is dedicated to the success of ebooks, whereas to the previous 2 owners of eReader.com, it was just another side business.

Rod3
01-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I just hope it doesn't mean you have to keep money tied up there. Fictionwise always has a few dollars of mine in their "account" thing. I like to pay and be done with it.

Ed Hansberry
01-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I just hope it doesn't mean you have to keep money tied up there. Fictionwise always has a few dollars of mine in their "account" thing. I like to pay and be done with it.
Oh really? eReader.com works like a bookstore - you pay when you download. I wouldn't buy from them if they changed to a prepaid account balance.

Rod3
01-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Yes, that's why I like eReader. Fictionwise has this "micropay" thing that I've never been able to cotton to. I'm just hoping they don't switch eReader to that.

disconnected
01-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm glad it's not just me. I know I have some theoretical micropay money somewhere on Fictionwise, but I've never bothered to actually find out how to get at it. :oops:

I always look first at ereader, then Powells, then Fictionwise for a title I want, and try to get the ereader format, when possible, on all three. MsLit and Mobipocket DRM is too cumbersome.

Somehow, my credit card name on Fictionwise doesn't include my middle initial. I don't remember if this was because I forgot to put it in, or there was no place for it. I guess I should really look into trying to change it if most of my future purchases will be there, so that all my books will open with the same input.

Doug Raeburn
01-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Fictionwise has offered its secure books in ereader format for a long time. I have a bunch of books from them that I've read using ereader Pro, even back to when it was called Palm Reader Pro.

And you don't have to use the Micropay option. You can pay with a credit card or PayPal. The only restriction is that they charge an additional $0.50 for those types of payments for orders under $5.

They do sometimes offer free Micropay bucks during sales. That's not cash out of your pocket... you can use it or not, as you prefer. Sometimes they'll give you 100% Micropay rebates when you buy a book, so it's often like a "buy one, get one free" sale.

Doug Raeburn
01-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm glad it's not just me. I know I have some theoretical micropay money somewhere on Fictionwise, but I've never bothered to actually find out how to get at it. :oops:

If you have Micropay, you have to have an account. Just log into your account and go to the "My Bookshelf" page. Your Micropay balance is displayed there.

disconnected
01-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Thanks.

I've just had an unpleasant thought. Does this mean the ereader application might no longer be maintained (updated for new versions of PPC operating systems) and ebooks no longer released in that format? I always knew my hundreds (several hundreds) of ebooks could become obsolete at some point, but I've tried not to think about it. If that happens, I hope someone will write a conversion program. I'm a law-abiding sort, but I think this is where I'd cross over.

Never mind. I just read the press release. :oops: Still not totally reassured though. I hope it's not like the dreaded vote of confidence just before the end.

Doug Raeburn
01-13-2008, 07:08 PM
I kinda doubt there's anything to worry about. eReader has been the secure format that FictionWise has recommended ever since I've bought from them. And my understanding is that its their best-selling format. So I think we're pretty safe.

geosta
01-13-2008, 07:45 PM
The thing I love about Fictionwise is that you can choose what format to download the books in, as many times as you like. I routinely download in both .lit and .pdf format so that I can read the book on my PDA in .lit and PDF on my phone.

Very useful, and the one time that I have had an issue with the site, customer support got back to me in a couple of hours. I wouldn't be worried if I was an ereader user being moved over.

disconnected
01-13-2008, 08:04 PM
The thing I love about Fictionwise is that you can choose what format to download the books in, as many times as you like. I routinely download in both .lit and .pdf format so that I can read the book on my PDA in .lit and PDF on my phone.

I think that's only true for the multi-format books, not the secure format ones?

geosta
01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
I think that's only true for the multi-format books, not the secure format ones?

Hmm, didn't think about that. But I've bought over 60 books and all of them have been multi-format. I haven't come across a 'secured format' one, but maybe that's just cause I buy tat fiction :)

disconnected
01-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Ok, I'm trying not to worry about this, but I just looked on the Fictionwise site where they list all the new secure format books added this week. Very few of them are available in ereader format, which is a departure from normal. Coincidence? I hope so. :(

Glen8
01-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Ok, I'm trying not to worry about this, but I just looked on the Fictionwise site where they list all the new secure format books added this week. Very few of them are available in ereader format, which is a departure from normal. Coincidence? I hope so. :(

I disagree. Of the 14 "New and Featured Secure eBooks" listed today, 12 are available in eReader format.

eReader is in my opinion the absolute best format for reading ebooks and has been a favourite of mine for years. Fictionwise would be shooting themselves in the foot if they stopped supporting it.

I love the Library feature of Fictionwise that allows you to see your entire purchase history. It's one of the reasons I continue to buy from them. Must be a sign of old age, but sometimes I forget if I've read a book just from the title; it helps to look at my Library to see if I have previously read it!

disconnected
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes, but if you click on the "New ebooks" icon at the top of the page, it shows all the new ebooks added for the week. There are about 300 secure format books, of which only about 40 are available in ereader format. In my particular category of choice, Mysteries, only 2 of 17 are available in ereader. And in the Mainstream category, only 6 out of 78.:(

Glen8
01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Yes, but if you click on the "New ebooks" icon at the top of the page, it shows all the new ebooks added for the week. There are about 300 secure format books, of which only about 40 are available in ereader format. In my particular category of choice, Mysteries, only 2 of 17 are available in ereader. And in the Mainstream category, only 6 out of 78.:(

Ooh, I don't like that. My category of choice is also Mysteries! Having done as you suggested (new eBooks), I see what you mean. Not good!

Russ Smith
01-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I've been using eReader and Fictionwise together for years now. I like their selection and their categorizing better than eReaders site. I always download in .pdb format for eReader anyway.

My primary reason for carrying a handheld is to manage my schedule, but a strong secondary reason is to make use of otherwise idle time. I'm consistantly able to read a few pages of an eBook while waiting for some [insert appropriate depreciatory term here] to navigate the complexities of the auto-checkout at the grocery. The availability of books on Fictionwise goes a long way to making that possible.

bmurphy
01-19-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm a huge fan of both sites and have well over 500 titles on each- that being said- I've been mostly fictionwise for the last year mainly because of the micropay option, which really gives you money back for reading! They had a sale recently- for up to 300 dollars you bought from there- they matched it in your micropay account! So I've been gradually using up that 300 for new books.
I have found that their customer service has always replied to me within a day, and always solved my problems- that hasn't ever been the case with eReader except for in the very beginning!
You don't have to take advantage of the micropay option- but it certainly adds up quickly, and they always are the lower cost on books!

eddie30
02-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Sorry for the dumb question but I currently use the ereader from ereader.com. If I download something on fictionwise and I choose their ereader (secure) format, is that the format from ereader.com. I'm asking because of the word in parenthesis (secure).
Thanks!

Glen8
02-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Sorry for the dumb question but I currently use the ereader from ereader.com. If I download something on fictionwise and I choose their ereader (secure) format, is that the format from ereader.com. I'm asking because of the word in parenthesis (secure).
Thanks!

Not a dumb question. Yes, the ereader format from ereader.com is the same format with which you can read some Fictionwise books. "Secure" means that the first time you open the book, you will be asked to put in your name and the credit card number you used to buy the book. You cannot copy a "Secure ereader" format book from one device to another (only from the computer you downloaded it from to the one device you wish to use). Once you've put in the information though, you'll be able to open and read the book from then on without re-keying the info.

eddie30
02-09-2008, 02:57 AM
I appreciate your feedback!