View Full Version : 2210 automatic brightness control

terrypin
01-09-2008, 04:34 PM
I set my iPAQ 2210 so that it would "Turn off backlight if device is not used for" 1 min. But it only dims it.

If that is correct behaviour, why? I don't need to be able to see anything until I tap the screen or use a key, when Full brightness will be restored anyway.

Is there no way to turn it off altogether, so that battery life is maximised?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

doughboy
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
I believe the behavior is correct. The backlight should be entirely off, though. It does not mean that you cannot see what is on the screen per se, just that the backlight turns off.
To turn off the device entirely (until you press a button) use the settings in Power -> Advanced tab.

Best Wishes.

terrypin
01-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks. So even when the backlight is fully off, you can still see the screen, albeit dimly?

In that state, will battery power be negligible? IOW, the least current consumption short of switching off the PPC entirely?

The application is that I'm using the PPC with a map program and GPS unit. So most of the time the PPC is in my pocket, but obviously cannot be switched off because it's keeping track of my position.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

doughboy
01-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Yes, battery consumption will be quite low. Backlight, processor, and radios (WiFi, Bluetooth) tend to be the largest consumers of battery power. There may be a registry hack or program available that even turns the screen completely off but keeps the device on (do Dell Axims allow this by holding down the power button?). You may wish to search PPCT Forums (including "power bible"), Google it, check on some MP3 or video players (?TCPMP?), and Tweaks2k2.

I am sure someone else at PPCT could direct you more appropriately.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-11-2008, 01:03 AM
There may be a registry hack or program available that even turns the screen completely off but keeps the device on (do Dell Axims allow this by holding down the power button?).

There are definitely a few programs out there that can turn the screen completely off, while keeping the PDA running - I just can't remember one off-hand. Holding down the power button (in WM2003SE and older) actually just switches the backlight off, not the screen.

On a technical point - with the 2210, you can't and shouldn't turn the device off entirely. What's happening when you press the power button is the device goes into suspend mode. Turning off the device with the memory model used in WM2003SE and older results in the complete loss of your data, as your registry settings, programs and data are kept in volatile RAM.