View Full Version : What are good pocket PCs?

rc18tbrushless
01-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I have a Cassopedia E-125 and I would like to get something newer and better. I would like something that I can access the internet on. How does the internet work? Does it just hook up to the wireless internet in your home? Also is it the scaled down internet like what cell phones have? Do you have any suggestions on what I should get. I would like something newer and not outdated and I would like it to have a lot of memory. Mine has word on it and I saw some had powerpoint? Is that really scaled down and can you put a powerpoint you made on a pocket pc and convert to a computer?

Sven Johannsen
01-05-2008, 09:38 PM
That's way to broad a question, but you aren't the first to have ever asked it. The usual answer you get here is, what are your requirements..what do you want to do with it. It's sort of like asking what kind of car should you buy. Are you a street racer or farmer, starving artist or independently wealthy, republican or democrat ;)

A good place to start on seeing what Windows Mobile Devices do these days is to head over to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx and have a look around.

You will find that there are three basic types, the Windows Mobile Classic device, which is kind of a newer version of what you have, Windows Mobile Professional which is a Pocket PC like yours but with a phone in it, and Windows Mobile Standard, which is primarily a phone but runs Windows Mobile OS and supports a great deal of the PC-like features you get in the other two.

For internet access you have two basic types. WiFi which can hook up to your WiFi network at home, or free ones at colleges, Coffee Shops, etc. Or pay ones you need to subscribe to. Then there is cellular data, which always costs you, and is part of your phone bill for those two types that are phones as well as PDAs. There is a third sort of way to get on the internet with a PPC, and that is to connect through a regular phone that has a data plan. Normally this is done over Bluetooth, a short range radio connection. You connect the PPC to the phone via BT, and the phone connects to cellular data, acting much like a modem. This of course requires you to have a cell phone with BT and a data plan. A RAZR would be one option. Data plan costs vary significantly between the four major US carriers, and the devices offerred by these carriers are a bit limited.

You will find that most Classic devices will have BT and WiFi. Most Standard devices (smartphones) will have BT, the phone and cellular data capability, and more often than not, the Pro devices will have BT, WiFi and the cell data + phone.

If you get a device with phone capability, you will need to sign up with one of the phone carriers. This is going to be a monthly charge, though not more than you would pay for a cell phone, but the data capability is charged on top of that. Generally they give you a good price on the device, and you sign a contract for a couple of years.

So, look at MSs site, and let us know sort of what that makes you think you might want, and what sort of $$$ you are thinking about. I can give recommendations from $200 to over $1000, with or without also locking you in to a phone contract from $50 - $150 a month.

rc18tbrushless
01-06-2008, 03:25 AM
I don't a phone in it, I would like it to hook up to our internet at our house so we dont have to buy intertnet from our cell phone service.

Sven Johannsen
01-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't a phone in it, Well, that says you are looking for a Windows Mobile Classic Device. I still think you need to wander over to the MS site and see what they have to say. You can also look at SmatPhone and PPC magazines database of what's out there. http://www.pocketpcmag.com/BG/PPCs.asp The Classic offering a re a bit sparse, as you will see a number of older devices on the list, some even discontinued. It would give some price idea as well, as you didn't mention if you had any range in mind.

If I were looking for a plain PPC these days, I would gravitate to HPs new line. Always had good luck with their PPCs in the past.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/215348-215348-64929-314903-215384-3544496.html

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/215348-215348-64929-314903-215384-3544499.html

Nurhisham Hussein
01-07-2008, 08:58 AM
That's way to broad a question...

...and how long, Sven, did that take you to type out? :lol:

I'm bookmarking this thread for future newbie guidance! ;)

Sven Johannsen
01-08-2008, 05:03 AM
...and how long, Sven, did that take you to type out? :lol:
My two index fingers were a complete blur.

isajoo
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
if ur looking for a ppc without a phone, the list is getting smaller by the day. i might get beef for saying this, but take a look at the ipod touch, it should do what u want, without the pulsing vein on forhead. lol. if ur keen on getting a windows device, check out ebay. there are great deals to be had for older dell ppc's. my old school toshiba e750 is still going strong, typing this post on it. if u already carry a cellphone around, it might be worth upgrading to a ppc phone(less to carry/charge and more chooses), just remember to get one with wifi, to avoid the high monthly bills.

Cybrid
01-08-2008, 11:31 PM
but take a look at the ipod touch, it should do what u want, without the pulsing vein on forehead.. Yea. No cut n paste, no edit of calendar on the go? Is it really a PDA if you can only view data on it? Oh. I know, your supposed to carry a calendar with you to write that stuff down until you get home and put it into the iSuck! er iTunes...
Seriously. As much as I admire the browser and the numerous things that Apple got right on there...This and the iPhone need to be more user empowering. I should be able to do more with it.

palur
01-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Best pocket pc in my opinion without using the phone functionality is XDA Flame as of now. The phone part is not helpful as it is triband and has bluetooth wake up issues. But PDA functionality is superb. It has large 3.6" VGA screen, USB host, Cameras, TV out (including audio and video), remote controller function and wi-fi.
They all work very well and very useful for powerpoint presentation or video demonstration.

Carty
01-17-2008, 05:29 PM
What do you think about this article (http://www.pocketpc-live.com/pocket-pc/how-to-buy-the-best-pda.html)?

Regards,
Carty..