View Full Version : O2 Flame: my review

bras4real
01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I am a bit late with my purchase and evaluation, this device is out for more than a year but so far my 1st impressions:

Received my O2 flame yesterday and have to say that my expectations of this device were far higher than expected. I think partly that this has to do with the fact that I also owned a QTEK 9090 which is similar in size and specs.

Screen:

• It’s huge as I did expect though, in my QTEK 9090 days I was blazed by such large screen size of 3,6 ‘’, resolution did not really matter for me, now 3 smartphones later (Nokia N93/N95/XDAII), sharp resolution is a must and although 480 x 640 dots resolution on the flame is far better than 320 x 240, I still prefer the screen of the Nokia n93/n95 as the screen is crispier and has more colour (16 million colours versus 262 000 on the Flame)

Built:

• It s a bit bricky but you should take this into account when buying such a large device of course, but its leightweight

Multimedia

• Video: I haven’t tested the video player yet, but I take it quality will be ok when using proper converting software like Super C,
• Still imaging: imported high res pics look good, no complaints
• Audio quality external speakers: to me the sound is a bit tinny, really nothing spectacular and nothing compared to the sound of the Nokia N95 external speaker
• Audio quality headphones: the standard stereo earphones are of the ‘in ear’ type and thus not suited for my large ears, a disappointment for me as I can t use these at all. In addition, the remote control on the earphones could be far better, no stop/pause/forward buttons, only volume control and a button to answer incoming phone calls. I am not really a phone basher in general I usually respect the manufacturers for their efforts, but if you are a die hard for mp3 playback through the earphones don t buy this device the audio quality is weak
• So overall with regards to the audio I can t say this function specifically designed for audsio improvement SRS HD SOUND) is all that unfortunately, my nokia 6300 provides much better mp3 sound

Remote control

• only works for a selected nr of manufacturers, no Bang Olufsen so I am out of luck there as I have a B&O TV

Phone quality

• Call/speaker quality OK

Speed/Ease of Use/ softwarestorage

• Windows Mobile 5; personally I think Pocket PC is just as basic in its controls/functions as Pocket PC Mobile, and it will take a lot of 3rd party Pocket PC software to pimp my Flame in to an acceptable graphic state.
• NVIDIA® GoForce® 5500, honestly I can t notice any difference in speed when going through the menus in comparison to my QTEK 9090, hopefully the card will make a difference when playing video
• Internal 2 G memory: very nice was pleased with this.

Overall: I paid 480 euros for the device and I wouldn’t pay a cent more honestly. I can understand manufacturers like Nokia charge more for there high-end devices the overall quality and cohesion of all functions is just better.

For business end purposes Id say it is definitely an acceptable device but don’t get tempted to buy this if your goal is multimedia only especially audio

My questions to the forum:

--> Do any of you agree? what are your experiences with the flame?
--> Do you know any good sites that offer decent VGA skins (proper design skins not nude pics of ladies my girlfriend hates those) and free software for this device?

--> any good audio player you know of GS player perhaps?

Any feedback and comments are greatly appreciated!!

BrAS

thierryb
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
You will appreciate to visit a forum dedicated to the Flame:
www.xdaflameusers.com

Flame can be purchased since less than one year, because it took time before it was really out.

The goforce is not used on any video player. Only two games use it presently.

I have paid it twice your price, but it worth his money.

Its major limitation is its battery, then the fact that it do not support sdhc card.

Do not buy a 2gb sandisk card, half of the people have had a problem with this brand and size. Choose a Kingston 2gb.

See you soon on Xfu.