View Full Version : newbie with some questions.

minishotglass
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Hello all,

Recently I have come up with the need for a pocket pc but I am absolutely clueless about what to shop for in order to fit my needs

I am looking for a a pocket pc that is compatible with a data plan for internet access from any location.

All I need is a browser (firefox IE) and ability to run an IRC client. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The purpose for this pocket PC is so that I can keep an eye on my stocks by accessing the brokerage page and stay on IRC for news and events whenever and wherever.

I figured I would get some advice from the many veterans here on what is the most cost effective path to take. Knowing I don't need something state of the art, perhaps a pocket pc that's a couple years old would be able to fulfill my needs?

also what would be a data plan that would fit my needs or are there other ways of accessing the internet that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance

brayndeded
01-02-2008, 09:19 PM
i dont know if this will help you, but i just got my htc ppc 6800 and has full internet on it...and it came with a program called pocket express that has real time stock updates that i can even have showing on my today screen. i have an unlimited data plan thru alltel so no worries there. its quick, easy,right at my fingertips, and most important to me...easy to use.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-03-2008, 03:50 AM
The purpose for this pocket PC is so that I can keep an eye on my stocks by accessing the brokerage page and stay on IRC for news and events whenever and wherever.

I don't think there's a problem with IRC - do a search of Menneisyys and IRC in the forum, he did an IRC client roundup a while back that should have all the information you need. Your first requirement may be problematic however - the browsers on Windows Mobile are feature deficient, and you may be disappointed with the results. Does your broker's page feature Java or anything like that? brayndeded's recommendation would be a better bet, but you won't have online trading available to you. If all you're looking for is a way to monitor stocks, there are quite a few stock portfolio application options available to you.

minishotglass
01-03-2008, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the responses.

I will try to be a bit more specific with what I need. I believe the brokerage page uses javascript and some advanced scripting which has worked fine using firefox and IE on my winxp computer. Are the browsers on windows mobile really horrible with displaying advanced html and javascript? I do plan on executing trades.

Would I be better off with an "internet tablet" then? Do those run actual OS's instead of windows mobile?

Nurhisham Hussein
01-03-2008, 04:41 AM
If it's just javascript, then you're on firmer ground - both Opera Mobile and Access Netfront are pretty decent in supporting javascript. Netfront also features java support, but the JVM is limited compared to what's available on desktops.

As for internet tablets, are you referring to the Nokia N810/N800? It uses Linux as the OS, and I think it might suit your needs as far as hardware/software support is concerned (though I've read that flash support is poor). However, you'll still be needing data access. A UMPC with integrated 3G/HSDPA radio such as a Samsung Q1 Ultra or the as yet unseen HTC Shift would be a better bet, but they'll obviously take a much higher toll on your budget.

minishotglass
01-04-2008, 04:54 AM
thanks hussein. I looked at the prices of those internet tablets and they are a bit expensive for me. I think I'm going to stick with a pocket pc. what browser comes default with windows mobile?

Another thing that I found which might help me a bit.

www.ircatwork.com which is a browser based irc client that is CGI based (not java)

hussein, can you tell me what pocket pc browser you are using and if you are able to sucessfully connect and chat?

also can you check to see if my brokerage homepage loads up correctly on your pocket pc browser?

www.zecco.com

thanks

Nurhisham Hussein
01-04-2008, 08:55 PM
I haven't a clue about IRC (never used it before), but the webpage loads pretty well. Same goes for the brokerage homepage - stock quotes and all. I'm using Netfront 3.2 (which is pretty old), so on that basis either the latest version of Netfront, or Opera should do ok. I can't be certain about trading though.