View Full Version : PPC Newbie with Questions

NathanBaron
12-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi there,

I’m the happy new owner of a Telus HTC Mogul (6800) and am currently trying to move my digital house over from a treo 650. I’ve been a palm os user for years, and so am a little stuck in my ways and am looking for help on a few things with this new device.

1. Wifi: I have a AP with WEP enabled at home. I have switched on wifi and my device can see the AP (marked as “available”). When I hit connect I am prompted to enter the key, and then hit connect. The device says it is connecting and then goes right back to “available” and does not connect. I have not been able to connect to any networks yet. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

2. Email not displaying: This is a bit weird. I have my gmail account setup with IMAP and it is set to receive all text and no images. With some emails it is delivered just fine, but in some I get only the sender and subject line and nothing else in the body of the message.

3. Headset control: On my treo I had a great little utility to control my media player via the button on hybrid headset so I didn’t have to take the phone out of my pocket to skip tracks or control the volume. Is there anything like this for the pocket PC?

And for extra points… I hate that I have to start WMP and then go back to the today screen to lock the device so I can put it in my pocket without buttons getting pressed accidentally. Any tricks for dealing with this?

4. Close applications freeware: Everyone diss’ palm os for not multitasking, but I find it way more annoying to have to go into settings to close apps. Is there a freeware utility to deal with this?

5. Open source PIM that will sync: I’m an open office user and thus don’t have outlook on my machine. Is there an open source PIM that will sync with the pocket pc?

That’s enough for now. Thanks in advance for your help. Seems like a great forum you have here.

Cybrid
12-29-2007, 11:55 AM
1. Wifi: I have a AP with WEP enabled at home. I have switched on wifi and my device can see the AP (marked as “available”). When I hit connect I am prompted to enter the key, and then hit connect. The device says it is connecting and then goes right back to “available” and does not connect. I have not been able to connect to any networks yet. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? Most likely the wrong key or the router is failing to provide an ip.

2. Email not displaying: This is a bit weird. I have my gmail account setup with IMAP and it is set to receive all text and no images. With some emails it is delivered just fine, but in some I get only the sender and subject line and nothing else in the body of the message.
Some emails are coded in HTML, JavaScript (or whatever) so that a browser aware client will open a browser window within the client. Invisible to non-aware clients. Try Flexmail or QMail.

3. Headset control: On my treo I had a great little utility to control my media player via the button on hybrid headset so I didn’t have to take the phone out of my pocket to skip tracks or control the volume. Is there anything like this for the pocket PC? Yes. When paired, If you set it to wireless headphones, the Audio Visual Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) should be automatically set. Are you on WM5? If so contact Telus for directions on the free WM6 upgrade.

And for extra points… I hate that I have to start WMP and then go back to the today screen to lock the device so I can put it in my pocket without buttons getting pressed accidentally. Any tricks for dealing with this?
In media player, theres button settings. Turn them off. You may want one active to screen toggle. This'll save battery life by shutting of the screen.

4. Close applications freeware: Everyone diss’ palm os for not multitasking, but I find it way more annoying to have to go into settings to close apps. Is there a freeware utility to deal with this?Most deal with this by a) Jeering Bill G. or b) an app like Magic Button.

5. Open source PIM that will sync: I’m an open office user and thus don’t have outlook on my machine. Is there an open source PIM that will sync with the pocket pc?
.Nope. There are experimental betas like FinchSync but Activesync is locked to Outlook. Did you get a trial of Outlook? It is available separately from Office.