View Full Version : x51v's XScale vs Tilt's Qualcomm MSM 7200

rodrigo_braz
12-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Hi,

In comparing the Tilt to my current x51v, I thought at first that the x51v would be a faster device, because its processor is 624MHz while Tilt's is 400Mhz. The processor models are of course different but since I don't know much about them, I was relying mostly on the clock. I also thought that a larger PDA would be more powerful.

When I played a bit with the Tilt, however, I noticed it was much more responsive. So it seems that the Qualcomm MSM 7200 400Mhz is much faster than the Intel XScale 624MHz. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Nurhisham Hussein
12-24-2007, 04:58 PM
You have to factor in the VGA screen - the Axim has to refresh 4x the number of pixels as the Tilt (plus allocate more memory and resources). I've found most VGA devices to lag a bit compared to QVGA devices, irrespective of processor speed.

JesterMania
12-25-2007, 05:44 PM
What Nurhisham said, and also the fact that your Axim is probably running WM5 and the Tilt is running WM6. From what I heard, WM6 is significantly faster and more stable during operation. Also, just like the a regular PC - other parts come into play (i.e. how fast the RAM is, etc.). People were saying how the HTC P4350 was faster than the HTC Wizard even though both used the TI OMAP 850 CPU because the P4350 apparently had faster RAM. Of course, I can't verify any of this myself but this is what I've been reading online...

r@dimus
12-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Maybe it's me but so far it seems that my X51v is more responsive than my Tilt. My X51v is runing the A12 ROM and my Tilt is runing BBC for whatever that's worth.

r@dimus
12-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Maybe it's me but so far it seems that my X51v is more responsive than my Tilt. My X51v is runing the A12 ROM and my Tilt is runing BBC for whatever that's worth.

rodrigo_braz
12-26-2007, 01:31 AM
My ROM is A06. Is there a way to update it?

Rodrigo

rodrigo_braz
12-28-2007, 11:43 PM
I got the Tilt a few days ago and have been using it since, and it still seems more responsive than the x51v, but for some I guess more intensive CPU uses such as repaginating a Microsoft Reader ebook. Then it gets quite slow.

Rodrigo

udhayam
01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi,
The Qualcomm MSM 7200 is not only a 400 Mhz processor. Instead The MSM 7200 is a dual core CPU with a 400MHz ARM11 application processing core and a 274MHz ARM9 that handles communications processing.

In addition it has a DSP and 3D acceleration and video encoder/decoders. So this is a very capable processor package that offers improved speed over the Samsung / Intel. By Windows Mobile standards, the Tilt is a responsive device that opens applications and windows quickly and handles video playback well. Using File Manager to view the Windows directory is usually a tedious process; it takes up to 30 seconds for Windows Mobile 5 and 6 devices to list all the files in that directory. On the Tilt, it listed them in 5 seconds.

Memory is abundant as well, with 128 megs of RAM. and 256 megs of flash memory for program and data storage. After booting, the Tilt has 74 megs of free RAM, which is quite a bit by WinMo (or any other smartphone platform) standards. This compares favorably to the T-Mobile Wing and HTC Touch which barely have 20 megs free to run programs at boot.

Thanks
Udhay

r@dimus
01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
My ROM is A06. Is there a way to update it?

Rodrigo

You can download the update from Dell:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R129272&SystemID=PDA_AXIM_X51&os=PPM&osl=en&deviceid=7643&devlib=0&typecnt=2&vercnt=3&formatcnt=1&libid=7&fileid=172104

But I would advise a search on Aximsite for how to install it. The instructions on Dell's site don't quite match up to the reality of the process.