View Full Version : Verizon To... Open Their Network!?

Janak Parekh
11-28-2007, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.vzw.com/news/2007/11/pr2007-11-27.html' target='_blank'>http://news.vzw.com/news/2007/11/pr2007-11-27.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Verizon Wireless today announced that it will provide customers the option to use, on its nationwide wireless network, wireless devices, software and applications not offered by the company. Verizon Wireless plans to have this new choice available to customers throughout the country by the end of 2008. In early 2008, the company will publish the technical standards the development community will need to design products to interface with the Verizon Wireless network. Any device that meets the minimum technical standard will be activated on the network. Devices will be tested and approved in a $20 million state-of-the-art testing lab which received an additional investment this year to gear up for the anticipated new demand. Any application the customer chooses will be allowed on these devices."</i><br /><br />I never thought I'd see this day. First the XV6800, and now this. 8O<br /><br />To be perfectly honest, there's a bunch of gotchas: it has to be CDMA (makes sense), and it has to be tested (uh-oh). Moreover, there's still no SIM equivalent (even though CDMA SIM-like technologies, like R-UIM, exist). However, it is potentially the start of something big. HTC has been slowly establishing a US presence; could we see this as the first step in getting HTC to push CDMA devices out to the US market that much faster? Or no crippled Bluetooth? Or J2ME-supporting devices? The mind boggles.

echernosky
11-28-2007, 07:48 PM
This is just the PR machine in motion. The suits at VZW felt obligated to address the formidable threat from Android somehow.

I just don't believe it. I don't believe that you will be able to go buy a cool Android phone and use on VZW's 'reliable' network.

I do not believe that VZW really feels threatened by Android. I think they would rather just going on selling ringtones at $3.99 a pop and playing their "upgrade your minutes for just $10/month" (similar to "upgrade your messages for $10/month)

It really doesn't matter. Until they drop their RIDICULUOUS $45/month data plans, I'll just stick to my work BlackBerry... sigh... from VZW.

yslee
11-29-2007, 02:25 AM
US$45 a month? Whatever happened to the US being the land of cheap unlimited data plans?

Janak Parekh
11-29-2007, 03:48 AM
US$45 a month? Whatever happened to the US being the land of cheap unlimited data plans?
Believe it or not, that's a great price by Canadian or Australian standards, as well as some countries in Europe.

In any case, $45 is by far the most expensive of the big 4 carriers when it comes to data, and they have combo plans which can mitigate the cost. T-Mobile, by comparison, is cheaper, although their data isn't nearly as fast. You can get some amazing deals on AT&amp;T and Sprint as well if you play the game right.

--janak

dequardo
11-29-2007, 04:08 AM
Switch to a Sprint SERO plan. 500 minutes. UNlimited texting, UN limited data access. THIRTY BUCKS/month.

I just did.

virain
11-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Good move by VZW! Why would it bother with devices at no charge, when it can charge for support? Bill for device approval goes to the manufacturer, after that, if customer wants to get help in setting up that cool, state of the art device, VZW can charge a fee for support, after all, some computer manufacturers charge for support of their own devices and here's someone else! And VZW doesn't have to deal with all the storing, marketing, returns etc.. Bottom line - more money, less expenses. BTW, first to come up with this business model was Sprint for its upcoming WiMax network.

possmann
11-29-2007, 06:53 PM
know, I wonder if this kinda brings up the topic of CDMA technology being or going the way of the Dodo... I mean lookat all the other major carrier globally - what technology are they on? GSM. Customers have greater flexibility and choice in phones and manufacturers seem like they are really aiming to produce devices that are first for GAM and then if proved popular enough "considered" for CDMA.

Either way I think Verizon is doing this out of feeling pressure (threat).

Well with the 6800 finally out and a year to go on my Verizon plan looks like I will be with these guys for a while longer. Still can't knock them for reliabilty, it really is the best coverage I've had in my area and where I travel in the US...

dequardo
11-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Their data plan costs still suck-BIG TIME.

virain
11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
BTW I think it is a first step towards LTE by Verizon,
Cheers