View Full Version : Unable to Sync

Sheena
11-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm in the process of buying a new PPC & my iPaq may have heard about it, because now it refuses to sync almost anywhere. Everything on it still works fine, only ActiveSync is out.

What I've tried:
Many (many!) restarts, on both the iPaq & the PC.
Disabling USB on ActiveSync + closing wcescomm.exe.
Different cables/cradles.
Different computers (XP, Vista).
Upgraded both ActiveSync & Windows Mobile.
Script to keep ports open (on Vista).
Hard reset.

I haven't touched the registry or even installed anything for months.

The iPaq is a 2210 with a PPC Techs memory upgrade, 4 years old (the upgrade too), running WM2003 (not SE).

At home (Vista laptop), I was able to connect, but only by uninstalling the device, resetting the iPaq, then connecting again. Each time! At work (XP SP2), I tried the same trick, but it forces me to start a new partnership & then fails, I have to reboot both the PC & the iPaq, same results each time.

I'm hoping one of you experts has a solution or at least can tell me it's just the old iPaq giving up the ghost, then I can do my Xmas shopping early & move on. My fear is that the same error will show on the new PDA too.

Help, please.

Rosie

buss
11-27-2007, 12:37 AM
I had the same problem. Axim51V, XP at work, and Vista at home. The my problem was everytime the computers would rename the device and create a new partnership. This is what I did to make it work for me.

Establish the initial partnership on the office computer.

Establish the partnership on the home computer and sycn. Following the sync I went to the PPC and changed the name back to what I wanted and synced again. This time it took! Because I use Bluetooth at home, I then established the BT partnership and synced again.

Now I have no problem with keeping things in sync. Only question I have is why is it so darn difficult!

Sheena
11-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks, buss, but I couldn't get that to work. Perhaps we're working on 2 different versions? My iPaq is WM2003.

In any case, I can still sync on Vista, as long as I delete the device, restart the iPaq & sync again. I can't change the partnership name on the iPaq, only on Windows Mobile.

At work, nothing. If I reboot the computer & delete the device, I get as far as selecting the device & starting a new partnership (no option to name it yet), click ok (or next or whatever), & then it fails again, asks me to reboot the computer & start over. I've done that more than half a dozen times with the same result.

After years of relatively painless sync'ing with several computers, now I have no idea what to do next.

Rosie