View Full Version : Where in the World is Dale Coffing?

Jason Dunn
11-21-2007, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXh213Cuzm8' target='_blank'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXh213Cuzm8</a><br /><br /></div>You old-time Pocket PC Thoughts readers will no doubt remember Dale Coffing and Pocket PC Passion, a great site in its day. Well, every once in a while someone will email me asking where Dale Coffing is, asking if he's alive (seriously). Here's your answer: Dale does a lot of freelance consulting work for Microsoft and i-Mate - I'll see him at trade shows quite often - and here he is up on YouTube talking about the new i-Mate Ultimate devices.<br /><br /><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hXh213Cuzm8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed><br /><br />If only the i-Mate Ultimate devices were as impressive as Dale's pitch-man skills (which are really impressive live, he's toned-down in this video).

SteveHoward999
11-21-2007, 01:17 AM
I wanna see an Ultimate device plugged nto keyboard and monitor, runing a remote desktop connection over the internet.

Once we can do that, I can quit carrying my laptop about when I travel :-)

alex_kac
11-21-2007, 02:00 AM
I always liked Dale and I have to say meeting him in person - he's a lot taller than I am. Very impressive frame. I miss Passion. He always did a great job with that site.

powder2000
11-21-2007, 04:30 AM
Man, talk about memory lane. I totally forgot about that site. that was the firs ppc site I visited and it was good. I remember it never quite made a comeback after his server had issues.

felixdd
11-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Back when I was more avid a PPC'er, there were 3 sites that I visited every day, without fail: PPC passion, PPCT, and BH.

Now it's dwindled to PPCT.

I sorta miss the good 'ol days. Maybe it's just me, but the new devices don't seem as exciting as before. Back then, every device that was announced was revolutionary, and brought something new to the table.

Now, I can hardly keep up with all the models that HTC pushes out. Or any other company for that matter. And they all seem like variations of a theme; nothing really revolutionary. I think the last device I genuinely felt excited about was the MPX, and unfortunately that was a magnificent flop.

Maybe it's just me...&lt;sigh>

wocket
11-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Time does fly. I like others had Dale's site as my daily visit around the pocketpc sites or should that have been WinCE sites back then.

Glad to see he's still active in the Windows Mobile world.

fulltilt
11-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I was also a regular on the same three sites.
Funny how back then the range of devices and what you could do was so very different.

I still think that in terms of where we are going, we haven't progressed far on the journey... :?: - still a ways to go.

powder2000
11-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Back when I was more avid a PPC'er, there were 3 sites that I visited every day, without fail: PPC passion, PPCT, and BH.

Now it's dwindled to PPCT.

I sorta miss the good 'ol days. Maybe it's just me, but the new devices don't seem as exciting as before. Back then, every device that was announced was revolutionary, and brought something new to the table.

Now, I can hardly keep up with all the models that HTC pushes out. Or any other company for that matter. And they all seem like variations of a theme; nothing really revolutionary. I think the last device I genuinely felt excited about was the MPX, and unfortunately that was a magnificent flop.

Maybe it's just me...&lt;sigh>

Not just you, I do have a ppc phone, but also a Nokia 770. The 770 to me has a few features ppc's don't have. Most importantly to me, a good browsing experience. The resolution as well as the screen quality and normal layout all make it so much better than my x50v ever was. This all for a very good price. I wish Dale had an archive set up to browse. Does anyone know if there is one?

Paragon
11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
If only the i-Mate Ultimate devices were as impressive as Dale's pitch-man skills (which are really impressive live, he's toned-down in this video).

Yeah, Dale always has been a very impressive speaker. I know that many people felt he was over passionate, and he has toned down considerably.

Too bad iMate has not shown the level of integraty in the past that Dale has. ;)

I miss the PPCPassion days as well. They were a lot of fun....and work. I met a lot of very good people over the years through Passion and Dale.

Dave

Sven Johannsen
11-22-2007, 03:47 AM
Dale is one of a kind. He was even able to inspire excitement in a group of already passionate folks. Wish I still had a copy of the Bat Belt picture. Anyone?

PeterLake
11-22-2007, 04:36 AM
Man, talk about memory lane. I totally forgot about that site. that was the firs ppc site I visited and it was good.

Ditto.

PeterLake
11-22-2007, 04:48 AM
I was also a regular on the same three sites.
Funny how back then the range of devices and what you could do was so very different.

I thought I was the champion lurker of PPCT but I see now that fulltilt (1) is still reading the site, (2) has been a member longer than I have ("he-he, longer member") and (3) has fewer posts.

Please, everyone, hold your applause and accolades until the end. I was going to ask Jason for a lurker medal in 2012, but I see now that I need to go radio-silent until 2017.

fulltilt
11-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I cannot think of anything that I have invested as much time in...that is the devotion to the thoughts sites. quite an addiction.

Lex
11-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Nothing can stop that Coffing... :-)

Don't Panic!
11-22-2007, 03:32 PM
I think I'm going to cry. This guy had faith in me, gave me my first job on a forum and I almost forgot about him. Excuse me a minute...

van_mierlo
11-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Dale is a great person. I had the oppertunity meeting him back in NY at one of the show while he was promoting Microsoft PocketPC ( back in the Compaq's Ipaq days)

Gen-M
11-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Like many here, I had PocketPCPassion on my daily reading list. I'm glad to see that Dale is still active in the industry. Wish he still had a web presence.

kiwi
11-24-2007, 05:08 AM
Dale is one of a kind. He was even able to inspire excitement in a group of already passionate folks. Wish I still had a copy of the Bat Belt picture. Anyone?

yes, that was priceless!! heh heh heh.. man I remember reading his site back in the Compaq 36XX series days... man, was that like 10 years ago now????