View Full Version : Windows CE new install help

jamestwinthorpe
11-14-2007, 04:30 AM
Hi I just bought a used ppt8846 and it has windows ce 4.1 net on it problem is there's an admin password and I want full access. I need to get a copy of win ce anybody know where I can find one?And possibly tell me how to install it?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cybrid
11-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Hi I just bought a used ppt8846 and it has windows ce 4.1 net on it problem is there's an admin password and I want full access. I need to get a copy of win ce anybody know where I can find one?And possibly tell me how to install it?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Try hard reset. Find a manual to obtain the devices specific hard reset sequence.

jamestwinthorpe
11-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey thanks for the info but it did not work I did a hard reset and nothing changed.
I just need to know how to do a fresh install of win ce and where can i get a copy if any one knows?
thanks again

Cybrid
11-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey thanks for the info but it did not work I did a hard reset and nothing changed.
I just need to know how to do a fresh install of win ce and where can i get a copy if any one knows?
thanks againOn embedded devices (Win CE) there is no such thing as a "fresh install". You can

Hard Reset: Making the device return to factory settings.
or
Upgrade the ROM: You'd find ROM's through the manufacturer. If the actually ever did release one.

jamestwinthorpe
11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
So if I do a hard reset it should erase all passwords and boot into windows normally? I did a hard reset once maybe I didnt do it right I try it again and see what happens.
What is the ROM you are talking about?

Thanks

Cybrid
11-15-2007, 03:17 AM
So if I do a hard reset it should erase all passwords and boot into windows normally? I did a hard reset once maybe I didnt do it right I try it again and see what happens.
What is the ROM you are talking about?

ThanksYes, a hard reset should erase all passwords & data making it as if straight out of the factory.
While a PC can be "fresh installed" a embedded device carries its OS in a Read Only Memory chip. This generally non erasable ROM chip can be updated but only with a ROM upgrade specific to the device.

jamestwinthorpe
11-15-2007, 10:51 PM
when i do the hard reset should the device be on or off?
and is there any kind of time limit i should hold the reset button down for?
thanks

Cybrid
11-16-2007, 09:47 PM
when i do the hard reset should the device be on or off?
and is there any kind of time limit i should hold the reset button down for?
thanksThat is a simple soft reset. kinda like a reboot. There will be a different sequence...a multi button simultaeneous push.