View Full Version : Help me choose?

Sheena
11-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey, guys. In need of your expertise again. This time I'm definitely replacing my beloved iPaq (2210) & right now my choices are limited, but there are some pretty ones this fall.

Ideally I'm looking for a all-in-one deal with phone, camera, all the radios, + VGA. For what I've read there's only one PPC out there with all of that: the HTC Ultimate (7501). It's a big hefty boy, but I did just fine with my first iPaq (3635) & my old eyes will be grateful. It's expensive as hell & I can't find a good case for it, but feature-wise it's my top choice for now. 600MHZ+!!! 8O

Running close behind is another HTC, the Tytn II. Not VGA, but not as big either, although almost as expensive. The worse drawback is the camera with no flash and the keyboard (don't need one, can't remove this one). At least the cases are more varied & there's a discount with AT&T.

Any more suggestions?

FYI, I use the PPC 70% for reading, 15% for lists, 10% for things like appointments, contacts, etc & 5% for anything else. I use my cell phone *very* little, but I live in NY, so coverage is as wide as it gets. With the new PPC I'll probably do more surfing & GPS than now, but still not the top requirements. Never used the PPC for e-mail either.

Please, any guidance about the phone usage will be particularly appreciated since I've never used it, only ever had regular plain cell phones without internet access. I understand I can use the same data service for the cell phone to connect my laptop where there's no wi-fi, but I don't know how to do this (or if it's extra $). Don't need texting, but the laptop connection would be nice, even if only for train trips.

Other details:

Keyboard - Don't want one if I can possibly avoid it.
VGA - Please? No square screens though.
SD/CF Slots - Oh, please! Still, I hold no hope, the :bad-words: have abandoned them for the little miserable micro thingies. Agh! :bawl:
GPS - I have an old Navman that never worked right with the iPaq, but at least I have the software & maps, no need to pay extra (yet).
Brand - not important, especially since HP has gone off grid with the missing new iPaqs.
USB? - Is there such thing as a PPC with a USB port? Nothing fancy, just to plug in a little flash key?

I considered an iPhone + a cheaper PPC to read, but the features I like on the iPhone (size, screen, cheaper price with AT&T) are just not worth the growing pains & the things they've missed, like a replaceable battery or proper bluetooth; not to mention the many overlaps on other features.

Thank you all for your help, as usual, you're the best.

Rosie
:) Happy Halloween!

Nurhisham Hussein
11-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Sheena, please don't post the same query twice - most regulars who passes through here will pick up on your first post.

Thread locked, please direct all comments and replies here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57138)