View Full Version : Geekzone Posts Review of Telecom New Zealand Titan

Jon Westfall
10-30-2007, 01:37 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=7463' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?contentid=7463</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Usually you wouldn't expect someone to start a review with the conclusion, but this is certainly the best Windows Mobile Pocket PC Telecom New Zealand have released since they brought the HTC Falcon to the market a few years ago. The Telecom New Zealand Titan is based on the HTC Titan model, a small, pocketable Windows Mobile handset with a sliding keobard. It's not much bigger than other handsets I've seen around, and is actually a bit smaller than the BlackBerry curve I have around here for testing now. It measures 110 mm x 59 mm x 18.5 mm and weighs about 165 grams with battery."</i><br /><br />Our friends in New Zealand now have the option to get a pretty nice device, The Titan (Marketed by Sprint in the US as the Mogul). I've played with one before and was pretty impressed, however I wish it sported more than a 2 MP camera. Any Titan users out there that want to weigh in?

griph
10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Our friends in New Zealand now have the option to get a pretty nice device, The Titan (Marketed by Sprint in the US as the Mogul). I've played with one before and was pretty impressed, however I wish it sported more than a 2 MP camera. Any Titan users out there that want to weigh in?
Link to review is here http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=7463

Jon Westfall
10-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Whoops! Forgot to put the link in. Fixed now, Thanks griph!

griph
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Whoops! Forgot to put the link in. Fixed now, Thanks griph!
You're welcom Jon!
Interesting device - no 3G/UMTS - I was wondering why no front facing camera! I like the idea of the spring loaded keyboard - wish my TyTn had one! Still am changing to the Touch Dual - so that wont be an issue soon!

that_kid
10-30-2007, 06:57 PM
i've been rocking the Titan from Sprint for a few months and I have to say that I'm really happy with this device (once I got rid of the Sprint crapware). I'm posting from it right now :D

freitasm
10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Interesting device - no 3G/UMTS - I was wondering why no front facing camera! I like the idea of the spring loaded keyboard - wish my TyTn had one! Still am changing to the Touch Dual - so that wont be an issue soon!

Hmmm, you mean no UMTS... Because CDMA EVDO is actually 3G, and much faster than UMTS (about 4 times faster).

griph
10-31-2007, 12:42 PM
[quote=griph]Hmmm, you mean no UMTS... Because CDMA EVDO is actually 3G, and much faster than UMTS (about 4 times faster).
Thanks for the clarification freitasm - but why no forward facing camera on the Titan as on the HTC TyTn/TyTn II? Does EVDO support 2 way Video calls?

freitasm
10-31-2007, 12:53 PM
The standard does but Telecom New Zealand doesn't...

griph
10-31-2007, 01:14 PM
The standard does but Telecom New Zealand doesn't...
OK thanks - interesting that a device has been produced to suit a country that doesn't presently support video calls and relatively small potential user market. I assume therefore that they are producing this one for other markets in a similar position elsewhere. Otherwise why not just produce a device that potentially supports all markets, but some of the functions (e.g. Video Calls) just dont work? Excuse my ignorance in this - but it is nonetheless a puzzle to me.