View Full Version : What Pocket PC?

BobRob18
10-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi,

Advice please from all experienced people. I am gong to buy a Pocket PC in the UK and I want recommendations about a suitable make and model.

My needs are:
* synchronizes with Outlook 2003
* creates MS Word and Excel documents
* synchronises with MS Money (UK version)
* sends and receives e-mails via a WIFI hotspot
* uses Windows Mobile

I am a fan of Dell laptops but I do not have any experience of Dell handhelds.

Thanks for all suggestions.

BobRob18[/list]

JMac
10-29-2007, 04:46 AM
Any PPC running WM5 or WM6 will do all that you mention in your post. (That is, assuming that all offer WIFI - I'm not certain that all do currently - but most do.)

Also, to sync w/MS Money you will need to purchase a third party application - PPC has no personal finance software provided with the device.

EDIT: You know, looking at your post again, I think that perhaps you are not certain which devices are Pocket PCs. Pocket PCs only run the Windows Mobile OS - all other devices are not Pocket PCs. That term indicates a Microsoft OS device. Other mobile devices, or handheld devices run different OS. So as long as you are looking at Pocket PCs - and not just using that term as a generic phrase for any mobile device, you're OK.

BobRob18
10-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am ignorant about PPCs and your reply cleared away a bit of fog from my understanding.

I note from your signature that you appear to be a Dell fan. If so , what one would you recommend?

BobRob18

doughboy
10-29-2007, 06:55 PM
If you can obtain a NEW Dell Axim x50 mid (520 Mhz processor) from the UK website, I suggest that model. If not (probably the situation), I suggest obtaining one from Ebay used but in excellent condition. You could also try to obtain a used Dell Axim X50v or HP iPAQ 4155.

I suggest a device with the OS Windows Mobile 2003SE. WM2005 & WM2006 reduces the overall capability of the devices.

Good Searching,

BobRob18
10-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Doughboy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I understand That Dell Axims do not have WIFI which is an essential facilty in my spec. I will have a look at The HPiPaqs.

BobRob18

Cybrid
10-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Doughboy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I understand That Dell Axims do not have WIFI which is an essential facilty in my spec. I will have a look at The HPiPaqs.

BobRob18Not all Dell or even HP Ipaqs have WiFi.
The Dell X50v, X51v have WiFi. You have my word on that.

BobRob18
10-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Cybrid,

The Dell Axims do not have WIFI said this Dell sales person from another continent (I live in the uK). I note that the Dell UK website says that the Axim X51 has WIFI.

Do you have any views on Dell handhelds?

BobRob18

doughboy
10-30-2007, 05:28 AM
BobRob18,

There are three Dell Axim x50 models -- the x50 without WiFi, the x50 with Wifi and a 520Mhz processor, and the x50v with WiFi. The x51s follow a similar delineation. In the U.S., sales of all new x50 and x51s from Dell have been discontinued, hence my suggestion to search Ebay. It appears the only new model available from the Dell UK site is the x51 without WiFi.

You can pay for a new Windows Mobile device with WM5 or WM6, but I think you would be better served obtaining a lightly used X50 "Mid" with the 520Mhz processor or the x50v.

JMac
10-30-2007, 05:33 AM
All Dell PPCs I have owned (3 X5, 2 X3, 3 X30, & 1 X50v) have WiFi - all purchased in the USA. Also, 2 iPaq's and 1 Asus MyPal 716 also have Wifi.

There were some entry-level, low cost models that did not but I don't think you will find any - except maybe used on Ebay or something like that.

JMac
10-30-2007, 05:34 AM
BTW, though it is not reflected in my sig, my daily use device is currently a Blackberry 8300. :)

BobRob18
10-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have decided to have a go on eBay for a Dell Axim X51. In the UK this model includes WIFI according to Del's website and eBay descriptions.

You have all been very helpful. Thanks

BobRob18 :D

jadesse
10-30-2007, 07:09 PM
I would stay away from ebay because you never know what you are going to get.

If you do decide to buy & an Axim from ebay then I would only purchase one that is still under warranty. The warranty is pretty easy to confirm. You will need the service tag & then go to the site below. It will tell you how many days are left.

The new ipaqs have been delayed until early 08 or I would say wait for one of those.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

BobRob18
10-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Jadesse,

Very good point. I will get the service tage from the seller and check it out.

Thanks.

BobRob18

Cybrid
10-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Cybrid,

The Dell Axims do not have WIFI said this Dell sales person from another continent (I live in the uK).
Unless they don't sell the wifi models in UK...The Dell Axim X50v I'm typing this on...most assuredly has WiFi.

As mentioned previously, There's quite a few Dell Axims.

Originally the X5 series
Came in Basic and High versions. (No WiFi).

Then the X3 series
Came in Basic, Mid? and High (X3i) The X3i had WiFi.

The X50 series
Basic, Mid and High.
High (X50v) has a VGA screen, BT and Wifi.

The X51 series.
Identical in nearly all respects to the X50 series.
Larger ROM and native WM5 support are the only difference between X50's and X51's.

Having owned two Dells. I would objectively say.

Battery life is low.A second battery is a mandatory accessory.

Screen sucks but you couldn't tell that without pitting it against superior devices.

It is however a rugged workhorse. For the price, hundreds $ cheaper than a comparable device from say HP. It is a purchase I have not regretted and used everyday until now. Thats 4 years. Far longer than any previous device. Usually I get myself a new shiny toy every 1-2 years. These devices hold up well against even the latest and greatest.

BobRob18
10-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Cybrid,

You say It is however a rugged workhorse. For the price, hundreds $ cheaper than a comparable device from say HP. It is a purchase I have not regretted and used everyday until now. Thats 4 years. Far longer than any previous device. Usually I get myself a new shiny toy every 1-2 years. These devices hold up well against even the latest and greatest.

Yup, this why I am going for the X51 which they sell in the UK and according to the written spec does have WIFI.

Thanks....hoefully I will agree with your comment...it is a rugged workhorse.

BobRob18